How to map MIDI to .SFZ samples

You're new to the LinuxSampler world? You don't know where to start and nothing works? Here's the place to ask for help.
bmentink

How to map MIDI to .SFZ samples

Post by bmentink » Mon Nov 21, 2016 7:04 pm

Hi There,

Very new to linuxsampler, but have managed to setup midi and audio via Jack and have loaded the BigMono drum kit using a 3rd party .sfz file.
The drums all appear on the keyboard and play, but I can't seem to find enough info to map the midi commands from my hardware to the notes ..

My hardware uses midi Channel #10 and notes start at 36 decimal.
When I load the BigMono kit the label above the keyboard says

Code: Select all

Channel #1.1 Big Mono ndk
Setting the midi channel to 10 does not change this .... and I don't know how to use midi mappings ..

Can anyone help me ...?

bmentink

Re: How to map MIDI to .SFZ samples

Post by bmentink » Tue Nov 22, 2016 6:46 pm

I eventually got this working once I got the midi events coming through.
However, I would like to find a way to map my individual drum kits to my "standard" drum controllers midi notes, and I want to be able to change kits on the fly, as I play live.

Is there any way to keep midi mappings for each drum kit?

Also, is there any way to map CC4 pedal to HiHat notes?

bmentink

Post by bmentink » Wed Nov 23, 2016 8:08 pm

So I guess by the deafening silence, the "support" in "Newbies & Support" has gone AWOL? :D

cuse
Developer

Post by cuse » Sat Nov 26, 2016 8:06 pm

bmentink wrote:I eventually got this working once I got the midi events coming through.
However, I would like to find a way to map my individual drum kits to my "standard" drum controllers midi notes, and I want to be able to change kits on the fly, as I play live.
And what stops you from switching your drumkits live? You can use MIDI program change, and/or you can use GUI clicks, and/or you can send instrument change commands via network. What exactly do you want to know?
bmentink wrote: Also, is there any way to map CC4 pedal to HiHat notes?
You did not mention which sound format you are using. The Gig and SFZ2 format have ways to map i.e. MIDI CCs for triggering notes. SoundFont (.sf2) doesn't.
bmentink wrote:So I guess by the deafening silence, the "support" in "Newbies & Support" has gone AWOL? :D
If you expect response to everything here in few hours, then yes. :D In doubt you can also subscribe to the developers mailing list. Chances are high to get quicker responses there:

https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/lis ... pler-devel

bmentink

Post by bmentink » Sun Nov 27, 2016 7:51 am

cuse wrote:
bmentink wrote:I eventually got this working once I got the midi events coming through.
And what stops you from switching your drumkits live? You can use MIDI program change, and/or you can use GUI clicks, and/or you can send instrument change commands via network. What exactly do you want to know?

I want to know how what program change commands to use to change kits, they don't seem to be documented anywhere ..
bmentink wrote: Also, is there any way to map CC4 pedal to HiHat notes?
You did not mention which sound format you are using. The Gig and SFZ2 format have ways to map i.e. MIDI CCs for triggering notes. SoundFont (.sf2) doesn't.

I am using SFZ ..
bmentink wrote:So I guess by the deafening silence, the "support" in "Newbies & Support" has gone AWOL? :D
If you expect response to everything here in few hours, then yes. :D In doubt you can also subscribe to the developers mailing list. Chances are high to get quicker responses there:

I think 5 days is a little more than a few hours .. :shock:

https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/lis ... pler-devel

cuse
Developer

Post by cuse » Sun Nov 27, 2016 3:14 pm

bmentink wrote: I want to know how what program change commands to use to change kits, they don't seem to be documented anywhere ..
You send standard MIDI bank select and standard MIDI program change messages to switch sounds in real-time by MIDI, like you do with any other standard MIDI software or hardware sound module. Which bank numbers and which program numbers exactly depend on you, since you have to define which one of your sounds should react on program changes at all, which bank & program numbers they should be assigned to, and which memory loading strategy they individually should use ("on demand", "on demand hold", or "persistent"). So with the loading strategy you can define whether i.e. some certain sound should be kept loaded in memory all the time, i.e. to enforce immediate sound switches without any delay, or you can just let some load if really needed and freed once not needed anymore.

Here is some overview about the sampler's so called "MIDI instrument mapping" feature in general:

http://www.linuxsampler.org/api/draft-l ... %20Mapping

I recommend you to use Fantasia/JSampler to setup the MIDI instrument mapping, that should be fairly easy. The document above is just meant if you need some more background information about this feature.

BTW, by default the MIDI instrument mapping applies to all sampler parts equally. If you rather want to have the behavior of many standard MIDI devices, that is having MIDI channel 10 assigned to drumkits only, and all other MIDI channels to regular instruments, then you can also do this by creating two separate MIDI instrument maps, and assign the sampler part of MIDI channel 10 to that separate 2nd MIDI instrument map.
bmentink wrote: I am using SFZ ..
Then just adjust your SFZ file to trigger notes on the respective MIDI CCs you need.
bmentink wrote:I think 5 days is a little more than a few hours .. :shock:
Well, you were complaining after 49 hours for not receiving a reply to you questions. Like I told you, it is normal that you may have to wait several days or even much longer to get a response on this board. One reason is that most developers don't lurk on this forum every day, that's why I suggested you to subscribe to the developer's mailing list in case you are unhappy about the response time, and the other big reason about the lag in responses here is that 99% of all users just pass by on this forum to ask people to get their issues resolved as conveniently and quickly as possible for them, and then never ever pass by on this forum again to help other users.

But I am sure that you are different and will also help out other users on this board in future in less than 2 days.