CC7 vs CC11 for volume/expression Control

You're new to the LinuxSampler world? You don't know where to start and nothing works? Here's the place to ask for help.
ggoodesa
Advanced User

CC7 vs CC11 for volume/expression Control

Post by ggoodesa » Mon Sep 29, 2008 8:07 pm

Hi,

The Miditzer Virtual Pipe Organ program has two Swell pedals (on a Pipe Organ these control the shutters around the Pipes, varying the volume and intensity of the sound of the Pipes). When hooked up to LinuxSampler the swell pedals have no effect on the volume of the ranks configured in each MIDI channel. Miditzer sends CC11 (CC:Expression) messages to the channels, but nothing changes. If I use MIDI-OX and translate the CC11 messages to CC7 message (CC:Volume), then the varying volume for the swell pedals works. My M-Audio keyboard volume slider runs on CC7 which is how I knew to try CC7...

So the question is: Why does CC7 work when CC11 doesn't? Do I need to map the GIG samples or configure something else? Any ideas?

Thanks

GrahamG

dahnielson

Re: CC7 vs CC11 for volume/expression Control

Post by dahnielson » Mon Sep 29, 2008 8:44 pm

CC7 messages control the instrument overall volume (I guess you set the default value for it by right-click in the instrument list in Gigedit and select "properties" in the menu to open the dialog where you can change it). CC11 need to be mapped to something in the instrument (I'm guessing "foot" is the same as CC11 in Gigedits list of controllers), e.g. you can select it to control the crossfade, amplitude envelop or filter cutoff.
Anders Dahnielson

Ardour2, Qtractor, Linuxsampler, M-AUDIO Delta 1010, Axiom 61, Korg D12, AKAI S2000, E-MU Proteus 2k, Roland R-5, Roland HP 1300e, Zoom RFX-1000, 4GB RAM x86_64 Intel Pentium Dual 1.80GHz Gentoo Linux