PPC

You name it!
Alex

PPC

Post by Alex » Mon Apr 14, 2008 7:45 am

Having been busy learning about all things linux (The more i learn, the more i realise how little i know....) I have a question.
I've managed to install Fedora8+ on my old ppc G4 laptop, and everything is finally running ok. (After removing pulseaudio. Still some work to do there it seems). Jack and Alsa are finally friends, and i can travel, as i do from time to time with a modest setup, good enough for writing music on the move.
{Edited to correct an error of perception on my part.)
On the bright side, Fedora runs a lot better on the laptop than osx ever did, so all's well.

Alex.

8-)

cuse
Developer

Re: PPC

Post by cuse » Mon Apr 14, 2008 8:14 am

What do you mean there's no LS version for older PPCs? Do you mean precompiled packages? Of course you can always compile the LS family yourself. Our official LS sources compile for old PPCs, 32bit and 64bit x86er and Alpha processor systems. The Debian project used a small patch (few lines against src/common/RTMath.cpp) so it even compiled on all other architectures as well, even on very exotic ones.

Alex

Post by Alex » Mon Apr 14, 2008 8:19 am

Aah yes, i meant precompiled packages C, sorry about that.

I'll give this a try today, and see what happens.

Alex.

:)

davephillips
User

Post by davephillips » Thu Apr 17, 2008 5:43 pm

Alex wrote:Having been busy learning about all things linux (The more i learn, the more i realise how little i know....)
That fact will not change. :)

Honestly, one of the reasons I love Linux is its depth.

Enjoy!

Alex

Post by Alex » Thu Apr 17, 2008 11:00 pm

davephillips wrote:
Alex wrote:Having been busy learning about all things linux (The more i learn, the more i realise how little i know....)
That fact will not change. :)

Honestly, one of the reasons I love Linux is its depth.

Enjoy!
Hehe, it's a great ride Dave, no doubt about that.
I'm getting on with LS now, starting the install process, and looking forward to building a nice little gig library out of my samples, just for the laptop, and writing on the move.
So far, Rosegarden, Jack and Alsa have all gone in pretty well. We'll see what happens next!
The ones that haven't played nicely in a ppc fedora environment at the moment are Muse, Musescore, and Qtractor, but that's as much to do with my lack of knowledge, as anything else. So maybe i'll come back to them, when i know a bit more. (I am going to miss using Mscore when i 'm away from home. That app rocks, and Werner's doing a great job of building a highly useable notation programme)
I'm only sad there's no RT kernels for PPC, but Fedora9 has proved to be a pleasant surprise to use, and we have what we have.
Never give up, never surrender!
Alex.

:)