The Alchemists of Sound: BBC Radiophonics Workshop

Everything and anything, but nothing about the LinuxSampler project.
dahnielson

Re: The Alchemists of Sound: BBC Radiophonics Workshop

Post by dahnielson » Wed Apr 02, 2008 2:44 pm

Consul wrote:If I could ever have met Delia Derbyshire in her prime, I would totally have hit on her. :mrgreen:
He he. True.

She had studied both mathematics and music.

BTW, after finish listening to collection of queues from Doctor Who (produced by the workshop) I took the recently released third album from Hot Chip for a spin. And I must say that you actually can find in the intro to the first track "Out At The Pictures" how much the workshop have managed to influence contemporary music.* Hot Chip is famous for using all kinds of weird instruments and sounds, in addition to all kinds of VST plugins, to create complex rhythmic sound textures ("impossible to recreate live" they have lamented). Another British favorite of mine is Psapp who build their songs with a lot of humor by sampling mostly toy instruments. I think you can trace both groups methods of working to methods and ideas developed by the workshop, despite being "simply" popular music. (Although, Hot Chip probably will claim Kraftwerk as the main inspiration for much of their work.)

*) In this case I got a John Baker feeling.
Anders Dahnielson

Ardour2, Qtractor, Linuxsampler, M-AUDIO Delta 1010, Axiom 61, Korg D12, AKAI S2000, E-MU Proteus 2k, Roland R-5, Roland HP 1300e, Zoom RFX-1000, 4GB RAM x86_64 Intel Pentium Dual 1.80GHz Gentoo Linux

Consul

Post by Consul » Fri Apr 04, 2008 5:11 pm

I think at this point that I'm going to stop coveting the latest and greatest in sound design software, and focus on making music with what I have instead. Many of the Radiophonics Workshop recording are so amazing, and it was all driven by pure talent. The tools are only as good as the hand that uses them.

The funny thing about the whole NI Komplete bundle, is that I had downloaded every possible demo that NI offers as part of Komplete, and even though I was amazed by some of the sounds, in the end, there were still only one or two sounds in each synth that I actually liked. $1000 for a couple dozen nice sounds seems a little excessive, I think. I'd rather have a nice, easy to use sampler with some nice synthesis capabilities. That could do everything I might want.

For everything else, there's musique concrète numérique. (Google translated "digital" as numérique. I don't know if that's strictly correct, so please tell me if I'm wrong.)
Darren Landrum

dahnielson

Post by dahnielson » Fri Apr 04, 2008 6:26 pm

Consul wrote:For everything else, there's musique concrète numérique. (Google translated "digital" as numérique. I don't know if that's strictly correct, so please tell me if I'm wrong.)
Yep. That's correct, digital is numérique in French afaik. "Digital audio" is "audio numérique".
Anders Dahnielson

Ardour2, Qtractor, Linuxsampler, M-AUDIO Delta 1010, Axiom 61, Korg D12, AKAI S2000, E-MU Proteus 2k, Roland R-5, Roland HP 1300e, Zoom RFX-1000, 4GB RAM x86_64 Intel Pentium Dual 1.80GHz Gentoo Linux

Consul

Post by Consul » Fri Apr 04, 2008 6:31 pm

Well, it makes perfect sense, given that digital processing is purely numeric in nature.
Darren Landrum

Consul

Post by Consul » Fri Apr 04, 2008 7:00 pm

Okay, my last post was the most pointless post ever.
Darren Landrum

Consul

Post by Consul » Fri Apr 04, 2008 7:01 pm

No, wait. That one was.
Darren Landrum