Need help installing LS & friends in UbuntuStudio Gutsy.

You're new to the LinuxSampler world? You don't know where to start and nothing works? Here's the place to ask for help.
dfro

Need help installing LS & friends in UbuntuStudio Gutsy.

Post by dfro » Tue Mar 25, 2008 9:52 pm

I am bummed that Ubuntu Studio has decided to remove LS from its distro. Perhaps a LinuxSampler package could be added to the Medibutu site?

I would like to get Linux Sampler installed and working but the .deb packages on the LS download page are not installing. On all but one package there are dependency problems. Also, some of the packages like qsample, libgig, liblscp are already installed in UbuntuStudio.

I am uncertain how to make sure that anything that I remove/compile/install on my own will not corrupt other programs. Could somebody help me get LinuxSampler and Gigedit working on UbuntuStudio Gutsy?

Thanks,
dfro

dahnielson

Re: Need help installing LS & friends in UbuntuStudio Gutsy.

Post by dahnielson » Tue Mar 25, 2008 11:04 pm

Someone more knowledgeable will probably give you a better answer. But have you already reviewed the Debian howto?

http://linuxsampler.org/debian.html

You shouldn't be afraid of building it yourself. You run no risk at destabilizing any other program, and the software you build yourself is usually installed into the /usr/local hierarchy instead of directly into the /usr hierarchy to keep the system clean an manageable.
Anders Dahnielson

Ardour2, Qtractor, Linuxsampler, M-AUDIO Delta 1010, Axiom 61, Korg D12, AKAI S2000, E-MU Proteus 2k, Roland R-5, Roland HP 1300e, Zoom RFX-1000, 4GB RAM x86_64 Intel Pentium Dual 1.80GHz Gentoo Linux

dfro

Post by dfro » Wed Mar 26, 2008 5:16 am

dahneilson,

Thanks for the reply. I have looked into the Deb package build guide and it is quite a bit over my head. I would enjoy tackling it with some help, though. Firstly, do I need to uninstall libgig6, liblscp, and qsampler in synaptic? They are currently installed on my system. If I check them for removal, synaptic also wants to remove the ubuntustudio-audio package. This package seems to be part of many packages, and I don't think I should remove it. Any advice?

The CXXFLAG section of the guide has me confused. I do not know how to proceed with these flags. I don't know enough to know what I am doing. Here is some info on my CPU.

~$ cat /proc/cpuinfo
processor : 0
vendor_id : GenuineIntel
cpu family : 15
model : 6
model name : Intel(R) Pentium(R) D CPU 3.00GHz
stepping : 2
cpu MHz : 3015.246
cache size : 2048 KB
physical id : 0
siblings : 2
core id : 0
cpu cores : 2
fdiv_bug : no
hlt_bug : no
f00f_bug : no
coma_bug : no
fpu : yes
fpu_exception : yes
cpuid level : 6
wp : yes
flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe nx lm constant_tsc pni monitor ds_cpl vmx cid cx16 xtpr lahf_lm
bogomips : 6033.13
clflush size : 64

Thanks for any more advice,

dfro

dahnielson

Post by dahnielson » Wed Mar 26, 2008 5:43 am

Yes. It's always best to not mix packages from synaptic and custom built. I can't answer any Ubuntu/Debian related questions as I run Gentoo Linux. But I can tell you this, if building .deb packages seems to complicated, use the old fashion manual way (like me) to build a cutting-edge install.

First check out the code from CVS:

Code: Select all

cvs -z3 -d:pserver:anonymous@cvs.linuxsampler.org:/var/cvs/linuxsampler co libgig
cvs -z3 -d:pserver:anonymous@cvs.linuxsampler.org:/var/cvs/linuxsampler co liblscp
cvs -z3 -d:pserver:anonymous@cvs.linuxsampler.org:/var/cvs/linuxsampler co linuxsampler
Make sure you have the $PKG_CONFIG_PATH set correctly by running (or putting it in your ~/.bashrc file):

export PKG_CONFIG_PATH=$PKG_CONFIG_PATH:/usr/local/lib/pkgconfig
Then enter each directory in the order given above and run:

make -f Makefile.cvs
./configure
make
su -c "make install"
You don't have to bother with CXXFLAGS unless you really want to optimize LS for your machine.
Anders Dahnielson

Ardour2, Qtractor, Linuxsampler, M-AUDIO Delta 1010, Axiom 61, Korg D12, AKAI S2000, E-MU Proteus 2k, Roland R-5, Roland HP 1300e, Zoom RFX-1000, 4GB RAM x86_64 Intel Pentium Dual 1.80GHz Gentoo Linux

cuse
Developer

Post by cuse » Wed Mar 26, 2008 1:41 pm

dfro wrote: Thanks for the reply. I have looked into the Deb package build guide and it is quite a bit over my head. I would enjoy tackling it with some help, though. Firstly, do I need to uninstall libgig6, liblscp, and qsampler in synaptic? They are currently installed on my system. If I check them for removal, synaptic also wants to remove the ubuntustudio-audio package. This package seems to be part of many packages, and I don't think I should remove it. Any advice?
Sounds like there's a strict dependency in that package. Haven't you said they removed LS from the distribution? So how can that ubuntustudio-audio package depend on LS? If you're right and they really removed it, maybe an update of your packages will remove the dependency.
dfro wrote: The CXXFLAG section of the guide has me confused. I do not know how to proceed with these flags. I don't know enough to know what I am doing. Here is some info on my CPU.

~$ cat /proc/cpuinfo
processor : 0
vendor_id : GenuineIntel
cpu family : 15
model : 6
model name : Intel(R) Pentium(R) D CPU 3.00GHz
stepping : 2
cpu MHz : 3015.246
cache size : 2048 KB
physical id : 0
siblings : 2
core id : 0
cpu cores : 2
fdiv_bug : no
hlt_bug : no
f00f_bug : no
coma_bug : no
fpu : yes
fpu_exception : yes
cpuid level : 6
wp : yes
flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe nx lm constant_tsc pni monitor ds_cpl vmx cid cx16 xtpr lahf_lm
For now you can simply use this line for libgig:

CXXFLAGS="-O3 -msse2 -march=pentium4 -mfpmath=sse -ffast-math -fomit-frame-pointer -funroll-loops" ./configure --prefix=/usr --mandir=\$${prefix}/share/man --infodir=\$${prefix}/share/info
and this one for LS:

CXXFLAGS="-O3 -msse2 -march=pentium4 -mfpmath=sse -ffast-math -fomit-frame-pointer -funroll-loops" ./configure --prefix=/usr --mandir=\$${prefix}/share/man --infodir=\$${prefix}/share/info --enable-refill-streams=2 --enable-stream-size=320000 --enable-preload-samples=65536 --enable-max-voices=200 --enable-max-streams=220
Place them as described in the Debian howto in the respective debian/rules file. And rememeber, even though it might be displayed in your browser in multiple lines, each should be in ONE line in the debian/rules file.

dfro

Post by dfro » Wed Mar 26, 2008 3:13 pm

Thanks guys,

Forgive me if my noob language is a little unclear. Because of the wording of the LS GPL license, UbuntuStudio has removed LS from its distribution. However, they have left qsampler, libgig6, and liblscp in the distribution. I don't see why, because it is my understanding that they don't do anything without LS. All of these packages left on my system have ubuntustudio-audio as a dependancy. If I check qsampler, libgig6, or libslcp for removal, synaptic says it will also remove ubuntustudio-audio. How do I solve this? The ubuntustudio-audio package seems to be very important to the system.

I don't think I can move ahead with either building .deb packages or compiling from source, until I get qsampler, libgig6, and liblscp out of synaptic, correct?

Thanks,
dfro

dahnielson

Post by dahnielson » Wed Mar 26, 2008 3:30 pm

dfro wrote:If I check qsampler, libgig6, or libslcp for removal, synaptic says it will also remove ubuntustudio-audio. How do I solve this? The ubuntustudio-audio package seems to be very important to the system.
Wow, that sounds incredibly stupid of Ubuntu Studio if it's true. :shock:

I suggest you should query the Unbuntu/Unbutu Studio forum to see why such a dependency exist and how you can remove the LS related packages without removing the ubuntustudio-audio package.
Anders Dahnielson

cuse
Developer

Post by cuse » Thu Mar 27, 2008 1:30 pm

For now you could also just build LS by yourself and leave the ones coming with Ubuntu on your box. But in that case you need to grab the appropriate LS version in order to be able to compile it against your libgig version. I have no idea which libgig version they're using exactly. Maybe the Ubuntu guy's have an unofficial deb repository where you can grab the matching LS .deb package. So better ask them before wasting too much time on these issues.

I also agree with dahnielson, that this dependency should better be removed from the ubuntu studio package. I guess it's just a legacy from the time where LS was officially part of the distribution.

If everything fails, you could also just bootstrap a small chroot environment and compile and install latest libgig and LS within that chroot environment, so that way it would not interfere with the installed ones from ubuntu. Then you could e.g. run your optimized LS from that chroot environment and just use the qsampler version coming with ubuntu, or alternatively compile qsampler in the chroot environemnt as well. Debian has a small tool which does that bootstrapping of such a chroot environment conveniently for you, it's called debootstrap. It really just creates a 2nd isolated minimalistic Debian system under an arbitrary subdirectory. And if you're fed up with it, just delete that directory. You'll find a lot of docs about this topic on the web.

dfro

Post by dfro » Thu Mar 27, 2008 6:52 pm

Thanks for the info guys.

I am posting on the multimedia section of the ubuntu forum, and I am getting some suggestions, but no packagers/developers seem to be taking interest in the thread. I am told on the Linux-audio-users site that I can just compile all of the new programs without touching the old and it will work.

I want to understand deb packages better. I will search for a tutorial somewhere on the web. Is there a way to just manually remove qsample, libgig, and liblscp? Will that mess up the ubuntustudio-audio package? I am sure that will break something that is programmed to look for these programs.

Cuse, I will look into some of your suggestions.

Thanks,
dfro

cuse
Developer

Post by cuse » Fri Mar 28, 2008 8:29 pm

Of course you can remove it. I'm not at Debian box ATM, but something like

apt-get remove foopackage --force
or something equivalent with dpkg directly should do it. I don't think that would seriously hurt anything regarding the ubuntu studio package. But once you want to do an upgrade of your distribution, you'll be back at the same point.