A draft whitepaper of my parameterization idea

Everything and anything, but nothing about the LinuxSampler project.
dahnielson

Re: A draft whitepaper of my parameterization idea

Post by dahnielson » Sun Mar 23, 2008 3:50 pm

lowkey wrote:Just re reading your paper again.

Have you seen this...

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/nov04/a ... folder.htm
Do you mean Firium?
Anders Dahnielson

Ardour2, Qtractor, Linuxsampler, M-AUDIO Delta 1010, Axiom 61, Korg D12, AKAI S2000, E-MU Proteus 2k, Roland R-5, Roland HP 1300e, Zoom RFX-1000, 4GB RAM x86_64 Intel Pentium Dual 1.80GHz Gentoo Linux

dahnielson

Post by dahnielson » Sun Mar 23, 2008 3:56 pm

Consul wrote:I think I'd rather spend my time refining the idea and then selling it. Specifically, I'm out to sell it to Benno and Christian and saying, "hey, let's try this!" Selling it to LAD would just be a bonus.

Still, if it makes me look more academic, I'll see if I can find anything that makes a good comparison.
Well, if you going to sell it there's usually a type of informal opposition to idea (like "Been there, done that. Yawn, old idea, didn't work. Move on, you don't interest me." ;) ) from the audience that is supposed to buy the idea why it's a good idea to be prepared.

Didn't check it out, but for instance, but how do the Yamaha AN1X and Firium (I believe) that Lowkey brought to attention relate for instance?
Last edited by dahnielson on Sun Mar 23, 2008 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Anders Dahnielson

Ardour2, Qtractor, Linuxsampler, M-AUDIO Delta 1010, Axiom 61, Korg D12, AKAI S2000, E-MU Proteus 2k, Roland R-5, Roland HP 1300e, Zoom RFX-1000, 4GB RAM x86_64 Intel Pentium Dual 1.80GHz Gentoo Linux

Consul

Post by Consul » Sun Mar 23, 2008 4:31 pm

Okay, I see what you mean. The AN1x does have an interesting feature that relates that I can expand upon. The Firium I'm not sure about, but I'll let lowkey explain. He probably knows something I don't. ;) I would like to make a FIR-based EQ, like Reaper's ReaFIR, for Linux, though, someday.
Darren Landrum

lowkey
User

Post by lowkey » Sun Mar 23, 2008 5:23 pm

Yep Firium :)

It pretty much like a wave-sequencer for frequencies. The method how it does it might be of use to you because it looks very simular to what your describing only using other parameters instead of "just" frequencies.

Consul

Post by Consul » Sun Mar 23, 2008 5:54 pm

Okay, I see what you mean. Firium uses a key frame approach for automation. That makes perfect sense for that kind of application, where the curves one draws can be very complex, and automating one point at a time becomes too tedious.

Actually, the way it stores captured frames of the EQ curve brings up an interesting idea for my own system, at the interface level.
Darren Landrum

Consul

Post by Consul » Sun Mar 23, 2008 8:28 pm

Here's the third draft, based on your suggestions. I also added a note about the implementation.

EDIT: Paper removed, as the whole concept and design has moved on from there. The rest of this thread has all of the details. Trust me, it's cool. :)
Darren Landrum

Consul

Post by Consul » Sun Mar 23, 2008 10:38 pm

I'm suddenly wondering if the logic I've created with these morphing functions can be extended to allow for the construction of any kind of DSP block. I'll have to think on that one a bit.

Hopefully, this mug of Newcastle Brown I have here will help with that.
Darren Landrum

dahnielson

Post by dahnielson » Sun Mar 23, 2008 11:00 pm

Now you need some diagrams and figures to look respectable and make a good impression. (My favorite being figure 2 in Paul Krugman, The Theory of Interstellar Trade, 1978. :D )
Anders Dahnielson

Consul

Post by Consul » Mon Mar 24, 2008 1:07 am

I'm working on the diagrams now. Hopefully, I can make some that look decent. I'm using Dia for the purpose.
Darren Landrum

Consul

Post by Consul » Mon Mar 24, 2008 4:43 am

Damnit, I really hate being on the cusp of solving an interesting problem, and not quite being able to get there.

The linking functions are one of the things I've glazed over so far. I'm at the edge of an idea about how these can work, but I can't quite make the leap. Hopefully, some sleep will help, and I can work it out tomorrow.
Darren Landrum