MIDI Instrument Maps

You name it!
Alex

MIDI Map.

Post by Alex » Mon Mar 17, 2008 10:48 pm

Having got stuck into the midi map with a view to expanding the available instrument articulation base, everything seems to be going ok, and i'm slowly building a large 'ondemand' map.
The only challenge i have now is:
I'm onto bank 4 (Violas) and from the initial input being fast and snappy to update, the inputting and waiting has slowed to a crawl.
I get the impression that each added entry is not updated in itself, but that the whole map is updated each time an entry is made.
Is this correct, or have i missed a setting somewhere?
Alex.

dahnielson

Re: Midi Map.

Post by dahnielson » Mon Mar 17, 2008 11:08 pm

No, you're correct. I discussed the behavior in this thread.
However, if you build large maps you will soon realize that there seems to be some complexity issues relating to the communication between Fantasia and LinuxSampler when adding an instrument take longer and longer time (it seems like Fantasia update after each adding by receiving and rebuilding the whole map). So I prefer to build it in chunks, separating the banks into separate maps and then merge them by hand in a text editor after exporting them. And if you realize you need to reorder banks and programs then doing it manually is currently the only option.
Anders Dahnielson

Ardour2, Qtractor, Linuxsampler, M-AUDIO Delta 1010, Axiom 61, Korg D12, AKAI S2000, E-MU Proteus 2k, Roland R-5, Roland HP 1300e, Zoom RFX-1000, 4GB RAM x86_64 Intel Pentium Dual 1.80GHz Gentoo Linux

Alex

Post by Alex » Mon Mar 17, 2008 11:17 pm

Anders, thanks for the reminder. :)
So i glean from this you're building say 1 bank, Copying the info from the lscp into a text editor, wiping the map in LS (and i'm using qsampler here) and starting again, build another map, copy and paste that into the text editor, and so on, until you're done, then saving the whole thing as an lscp file?

Alex.

p.s. Would it useful here to offer a request for a 'spreadsheet' style midi map with seperate pages for banks, each one updating itself instead of the whole map at once? And this way we could add to an individual bank instead of having to shuffle everything to correct a mistake. :oops:

dahnielson

Post by dahnielson » Mon Mar 17, 2008 11:24 pm

Alex wrote:Anders, thanks for the reminder. :)
So i glean from this you're building say 1 bank, Copying the info from the lscp into a text editor, wiping the map in LS (and i'm using qsampler here) and starting again, build another map, copy and paste that into the text editor, and so on, until you're done, then saving the whole thing as an lscp file?
No, not at all. You can create several maps in LS/Fantasia and have them all exported to a single LSCP file and then in a final step edit them together as one final map.

You assign MIDI maps on a per sample channel basis in LS which means you can have multiple maps. But according to the bug tracker QSampler can't handle more than two instrument maps.
Anders Dahnielson

Ardour2, Qtractor, Linuxsampler, M-AUDIO Delta 1010, Axiom 61, Korg D12, AKAI S2000, E-MU Proteus 2k, Roland R-5, Roland HP 1300e, Zoom RFX-1000, 4GB RAM x86_64 Intel Pentium Dual 1.80GHz Gentoo Linux

Alex

Post by Alex » Tue Mar 18, 2008 12:31 am

Anders, thanks mate.
I've just tried it in Fantasia, and it's no comparison for speed. I'm way ahead of where i was.
Much as i like using qsampler, and how stable it is to run all day without a problem, my large maps are leading me inexorably towards Fantasia, i think. I would hope that one day qsampler can use multiple maps too, for those who want to use it.

Cheers for the help!

:)

Alex.

Alex

Post by Alex » Tue Mar 18, 2008 2:55 pm

Anders, a quick update.
Everything worked ok, with building the maps in fantasia and exporting as a single midi map for qsampler.
Thanks mate, it helps a great deal, and everything is up and running smoothly.

Now the only thing i''ve left to do is define defaults for each channel, so i get something loaded to start with.
I'm rather pleased with this development, as you may gather. It will take me further forward.
:mrgreen:

Alex.

p.s. Onwards and Upwards!

Alex

Post by Alex » Tue Mar 18, 2008 11:29 pm

Another quick update, Anders.
Built up a complete set of maps for just about my entire collection of noises, and Fantasia rocks! :mrgreen:
It's like the old days of sampler and recorder. (Linuxsampler and Ardour) Wonderfully simple stuff. Funny how things go in a circle sometimes. I always enjoyed recording in such a simple way, when i was younger, lol.

Alex.

:)

grishata
Developer

Post by grishata » Wed Mar 19, 2008 11:13 am

The only challenge i have now is:
I'm onto bank 4 (Violas) and from the initial input being fast and snappy to update, the inputting and waiting has slowed to a crawl.
I made some optimizations, should work better now.

Alex

Post by Alex » Wed Mar 19, 2008 1:12 pm

Thanks for the update G,but all attempts on my part to compile this from cvs failed.
Not sure where to go from here, but i'm still working on it.

Alex.

dahnielson

Post by dahnielson » Wed Mar 19, 2008 1:35 pm

Alex wrote:Thanks for the update G,but all attempts on my part to compile this from cvs failed.
Not sure where to go from here, but i'm still working on it.
To compile Fantasia from CVS:

* Check out the JSampler source from CVS.

* Create a lib/required/ directory in the CVS source tree.

* Download the JSampler source tarball, extract and copy the content of its lib/required/ directory to the one in the CVS source tree.

* Run ant build-fantasia in the CVS tree root to build Fantasia.

* Hopefully a new JAR file will be guilt and put in the dist/ directory. The build should only fail if your Java environment isn't up to date.
Anders Dahnielson