Assigning Midi Ports to channels

You name it!
typewriter
Advanced User

Assigning Midi Ports to channels

Post by typewriter » Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:36 am

I am really getting some frustration here...

When I insert 2 instances of LS 64 in Reaper or Vienna Ensemble Pro Fantasia opens up and shows 2 channels - one for midi port 1 (0) and one for midi port 2 (1).

So now I want to add more channels in Fantasia for more articulations - 16 channels per port - 32 in total.

However.... every channel I insert sticks with midi port one. I can see the additional midi port but I can't assign a channel to any other port than the first one - what is pretty much useless if you need more than 16 channels.

I get a message - midi imput port "plugin" can't be changed.

Is this a bug or a feature I do not understand?

Alex

Re: Assigning Midi Ports to channels

Post by Alex » Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:48 pm

Yep, LS as a plugin instance only has 1 port per plugin instance. 1 port=16 channels.
If you want more, add another plugin instance. Which ever instance is selected, or in focus, is the one Fantasia will provide an interface for.

I've experimented with this using LV2, and opened multiple plugin instances in the one app, then selected the instance and "opened the GUI" i.e. Fantasia, for this instance.

I assume you're using VST LS, of which i have no experience, so i'm assuming the process is the same, that is which ever plugin instance has the focus is the instance shown using Fantasia as a GUI, to manipulate or change the state of that plugin instance.

Hope this helps,

Alex.

typewriter
Advanced User

Re: Assigning Midi Ports to channels

Post by typewriter » Fri Feb 24, 2012 4:02 pm

Fantasia opens up and updates after each instance I insert, i.e. it shows all instances inserted in the WIN DAW.

The focus does not matter.

I insert 2 instances in Studio one 2 x64 and I get 2 channels in Fantasia. One with midi port 0 and one with midi port 1.

When I add another channel in Fantasia its always midi port 0 (and can't be changed).

The only way to get around this is to insert one track per articulation in the DAW resulting in one port per sound in Fantasia. This leaves 15 channels per midi port unused, creates an enormous amount of midi ports and much more CPU load/RAM use.