How to compile Linuxsampler as DSSI

You're new to the LinuxSampler world? You don't know where to start and nothing works? Here's the place to ask for help.
jmaika

How to compile Linuxsampler as DSSI

Post by jmaika » Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:54 am

Really a newbie question: how to make qsampler working with rosegarden? I tried to install it, but I'm not able to play my music (made with rosegarden) with gig instruments. I've read that it needs to be compiled as a vssi, what does it mean?
Any help will be appreciated.

dakylla
User

Re: How to compile Linuxsampler as DSSI

Post by dakylla » Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:33 pm

hi man,

you need to have dssi header files installed on your system.

apt-get install dssi-dev (hopping you are on a debian system) as root

jmaika

Post by jmaika » Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:17 am

I installed dssi-dev and two things appened:

1) ardour was uninstalled, I had to reinstall it but no problem, none of my works was touched.... only a big-BIG fear :o :o :o ....:D

2) rosegarden now has got linuxsampler between his instruments but when I try to select it, the program crashes :? why????

dakylla
User

Post by dakylla » Fri Mar 25, 2011 6:36 pm

start rosegarden in a terminal and send us the output

varpa
User

Post by varpa » Fri Mar 25, 2011 8:02 pm

I have 2 suggestions:
Use an audio-oriented Linux distribution like AVLinux which already comes well-configured with audio apps so you can avoid a lot of setup issues.
Or just run Linuxsampler with an external program like Qsampler or Jsampler-fantasia and route the midi out of Rosegarden using, say the Connections panel on QJackCtl to the instruments you loaded in Qsampler. Actually you would have to run either Qsampler or Jsampler-fantasia in conjunction with dssi-linuxsampler, to configure your instruments anyway, so using the dssi plugin does not buy you much, as far as I can see.

jmaika

Post by jmaika » Sat Mar 26, 2011 9:24 am

It's a good suggestion I'm overwieving AV Linux and Ubuntu Studio. Only one question... do I need to format again (save all works and spend a lot of time...) or can I simply upgrade my system (I've got ubuntu maverick meerkat) without loosing datas?

jmaika

Post by jmaika » Wed Mar 30, 2011 8:46 am

I answer myself to the last question... there's no need to format the hard disk to change from ubuntu 10.10 to ubuntu studio, I did it without any problems, (I hope this info could be useful to someone) anyway the problem is still there... rosegarden crashes when I try to load linuxsampler, I started in in the terminal and it gives this error when loading LS:

AudioInstrumentMixer::setPlugin(10000, 999, dssi:/usr/local/lib/dssi/linuxsampler.so:LinuxSampler)
LSCPServer: Could not bind server socket, retrying for 180 seconds...gave up!

:?: :roll: heeelp!!!

dakylla
User

Post by dakylla » Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:42 am

did not you have a running linuxsampler instance running ?
if so, you shouldn't

jmaika

Post by jmaika » Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:02 pm

yes... we're near to the solution...
I sistematically loaded qsampler and then rosegarden, if I load rosegarden and then call the linuxsampler intrument the program doesn't crash, but I still don't hear a note...

here are the steps that I follow:
1) start jack
2) start rosegarden
3) select the instrument "linuxsampler" for the track
4) start qsampler
5) click on "MIDI instruments configuration" then "New instrument" and then I load the file (maestro_concert_grand_v2.gig)

Am I missing something?

varpa
User

Post by varpa » Fri Apr 01, 2011 7:23 pm

What you are doing is correct - works for me on AVLinux. Are you using QJackCtl? If so click on the "Connections" button and make sure Rosegarden's outputs are connected to system playback. Otherwise, check that audio is not otherwise muted. In Qsampler does the green "LED" on the piano channel blink when you are doing playback (meaning that Qsampler is getting MIDI input). Also make sure Qsampler is not muted or have the volume slider set to zero.