Rosegarden midi-out to LS in

You're new to the LinuxSampler world? You don't know where to start and nothing works? Here's the place to ask for help.
mdmullins

Rosegarden midi-out to LS in

Post by mdmullins » Fri Jul 30, 2010 9:53 am

Feeling a little dumb here. I've got jack and LS up and running. Loaded a .gig and made all proper connections through Jack and the virtual keyboard works fine with LS. But for the life of me I can't figure out how to get Rosegarden (or any sequencer for that matter) to output it's midi data to LS when I load a midi file.

Search high and low through Google but no luck.

What am I missing?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

MDMullins :?

ccherrett
Advanced User

Re: Rosegarden midi-out to LS in

Post by ccherrett » Fri Jul 30, 2010 9:08 pm

You must create a midi device in LS and in the midi device manager in RG hook it up
Christopher Cherrett
Founder of The Open Octave Project
http://www.openoctave.org

mdmullins

Post by mdmullins » Sat Jul 31, 2010 10:03 am

Thanks for replying.

There was already a default device setup in LS, but I created another one. I'm assuming that the problem I'm having is on RG's end and not LS's because jack-keyboard has no problem finding LS's port.

Here's a screenshot: http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=9h2dc3&s=3

Front and center in the attached image is RG's device manager. Just behind it is RG's.

Do I need to compile RG from scratch with this or that switch set?

Again. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
MDMullins

count_fuzzball
User

Post by count_fuzzball » Sat Jul 31, 2010 5:43 pm

Yeah, there's the problem. You need to set the midi input in Qsampler to ALSA, not JACK, for Rosegarden to see it (RG uses Alsa-Midi, not jack midi for midi I/O). In the qsampler devices, just change the Driver option in the top right corner to ALSA, and it should appear in the ALSA tab of qjackctl and in Rosegarden as Linuxsampler.

Hope this helps!

Andrew.

mdmullins

Post by mdmullins » Sun Aug 01, 2010 2:26 am

Thanks again for responding.

While Alsa is up and running (alsamixer works fine) there is no driver option available besides Jack in QSampler's device manager...

http://img197.imageshack.us/img197/6686 ... shotaj.png

I'm using Ubuntu 10.04 which uses Pulseaudio, which qjackctl suspends when it starts, but I suspect the problem is with Pulseaudio. But I have no idea.

Thank you,

MDMullins

count_fuzzball
User

Post by count_fuzzball » Sun Aug 01, 2010 1:32 pm

Hm, that, I think would point to having no alsa support compiled into linuxsampler, which is weird if it's from the ubuntu repos or if you compiled it yourself and you have the alsa dev packages installed. :/

Andrew.

mdmullins

Post by mdmullins » Sun Aug 01, 2010 7:25 pm

I think would point to having no alsa support compiled into linuxsampler
Yes. Thank you. That was it. I installed the alsa development shared libraries and then compiled linuxsampler from source. After a bit of tweaking, Rosegarden is now working beautifully with LS.

Thank you so much.

MDMullins