Windows beta pre-release (incl. VST and 64 bit binaries)

You name it!
cuse
Developer

Re: Windows beta pre-release (incl. VST and 64 bit binaries)

Post by cuse » Sat Jul 11, 2009 12:56 pm

Hamish wrote:I have an off-topic question. Could you enable cookies on this board? Currently I have to sign in every 2 minutes.
Cookies are enabled for http and SSL and session timeout is set to 1 hour on this board. Maybe a security setting in your browser?

cuse
Developer

Post by cuse » Sat Jul 11, 2009 1:00 pm

typewriter wrote:If the AU version has the same features as the VST version (saving plugin state, i.e. sounds and midi maps) I agree that a AU version alone would be enough. However, I am not sure if AUs can be used in Protools. I'll get Protools LE 8 this month and can examine this. A VST version can be used with the VST-RTAS-Adapter of fxpansion.
The plugin state code is shared between the host plugin implementations. So saving and restoring MIDI maps, FX sends etc. to and from your sequencer session should work in the next AU binary as well.

dougal2
User

Post by dougal2 » Sat Jul 11, 2009 1:56 pm

Any ideas on why I can't get a MIDI input to the VSTi under cubase? Is that how it's supposed to work? How do I get MIDI data into the VSTi ?

dougal2
User

Post by dougal2 » Sun Jul 12, 2009 4:25 pm

I'm sorry guys, I have to report abject failure of this beta on my machine.

I can occasionally get a few notes out of it by triggering the keyboard in Fantasia, but when trying to do almost anything else it appears that the LS backend 'disappears' - ie. crash with no notification.

A few times also it has managed to crash cubase itself in a rather spectacular way.

I haven't actually managed to successfully play any real MIDI tracks through it yet.

EDIT: I'm running this on a quadcore. Could this be a multithreading issue ?

Andreas
Developer

Post by Andreas » Sun Jul 12, 2009 5:22 pm

dougal2 wrote:Any ideas on why I can't get a MIDI input to the VSTi under cubase? Is that how it's supposed to work? How do I get MIDI data into the VSTi ?
I don't know, sorry. LS is supposed to work like any other VST instrument. I don't remember much about how Cubase works, but according to "Cubase SX Complete" that I found here: http://www.auxbuss.com/cubase/cubase-sx-tutorial.htm, you should load LS into the "VST Instruments" window and then it should be visible in the "out" dropdown list in all MIDI tracks.
I can occasionally get a few notes out of it by triggering the keyboard in Fantasia, but when trying to do almost anything else it appears that the LS backend 'disappears' - ie. crash with no notification.
Just in case you didn't know: if you want to run the VST, you should not start the LS backend.

If you on the other hand want to run the standalone version of LS, you need a virtual MIDI cable, like MIDI Yoke, to route the MIDI from Cubase to LS.

dougal2
User

Post by dougal2 » Sun Jul 12, 2009 5:52 pm

> you should load LS into the "VST Instruments" window and then it should be visible in the "out" dropdown list in all MIDI tracks

Correct, but it doesn't appear in the "out" dropdown.

> Just in case you didn't know: if you want to run the VST, you should not start the LS backend.

I'm not running the LS backend as well, I presume the LS runs entirely within the VST plugin - and it appears to crash because it stops working. Sometimes only LS stops, sometimes it crashes cubase as well.

I shall try now to run it as a separate process, perhaps then I can capture any causes of errors.

dougal2
User

Post by dougal2 » Sun Jul 12, 2009 5:57 pm

When running standalone, I can get LS to crash with the message:
This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way.
Please contact the application's support team for more information.

dougal2
User

Post by dougal2 » Sun Jul 12, 2009 6:03 pm

And why does LS keep resetting my soundcard to 48000 Hz ?

This is a real pain since I have a chain of digital kit all wordclock synced and it causes a massive disruption in each device in the chain.

Andreas
Developer

Post by Andreas » Sun Jul 12, 2009 6:14 pm

dougal2 wrote:And why does LS keep resetting my soundcard to 48000 Hz ?
This is only when running standalone, isn't it? When running as a VST, LS has no control over the sample rate or other settings of the sound card.

When you run stand-alone LS, you usually start by creating a new audio device in Fantasia. There you should be able to choose whatever samplerate you want. Doesn't this work?

dougal2
User

Post by dougal2 » Sun Jul 12, 2009 6:16 pm

Yeah the samplerate was changing when running the standalone LS. I'm not sure if it was LS doing it, and I think I might have cured that problem.

I've just got LS up and instruments loaded for the first time, I'm going to see now if it'll perform in conjunction with cubase as a standalone.