Windows LinuxSampler VST - More Info Needed!

You're new to the LinuxSampler world? You don't know where to start and nothing works? Here's the place to ask for help.
ggoodesa
Advanced User

Windows LinuxSampler VST - More Info Needed!

Post by ggoodesa » Fri Apr 24, 2009 8:57 pm

Hi,
I have built the most recent CVS version of linuxsampler in windows and have the standalone version working wonderfully. I now need to get the VST version working.... but I don't know what files should go where or what version of Fantasia should be used, and I can't find any instructions on how to use it.

So, I put the LinuxSampler.dll in it's own little /vst directory, tried to run it with Cantabile lite, and got an error message say that liblinuxsampler-1.dll couldn't be found. So I copied that file in. Then it seemed to load, but with the old version of Fantasia (so I assume it's using the /Program Files/LinuxSampler/Fantasia-0.8a.jar from the original version installation? Can I copy a more recent Fantasia into the directory and make it use it?). So, it set up MIDI and Audio automatically, and I could load a GIG - a little success. So then I tried Reaper... I added the vst directory to it's list of VST path searches, then did the refresh. It didn't pick it up. Nothing. Tried just dumping the dll into the LinuxSampler directory. Nothing. So tried Sonar 6, added the VST directory, again - nothing picked up. Tried VSThost, and this time it picked something up - but I couldn't get it to run (I don't know VST host very well so might just have been me). Frustrating to say the least... as I don't know what it should be doing or where things should be...

Now the idea of VSTi is awesome, and using linuxsampler in Reaper and Sonar is THE next step (convolution reverb and other nice filters!) But I can't get it to work. Please help!

How can I put together a VST package that has all the files in the right place and that works with all the VSTi hosts?

Thanks,
GrahamG

typewriter
Advanced User

Re: Windows LinuxSampler VST - More Info Needed!

Post by typewriter » Fri Apr 24, 2009 10:47 pm

Have you seen this documentation already?

http://www.linuxsampler.org/msys.html

Maybe the compling of the vsti went wrong. Maybe you took another look at this documentation. It has been updated recently.

I think it does not matter which fantasia version you use and where it is put.

I don't now how the windows VST version works but when it works the same way as the AU plugin it is pretty much straight forward. At first you insert the plugin into a DAW channel. The AU plugin has literaly no interface at all. At first I thought something was wrong then I realized that you also need to start fantasia to load sounds. It does not start atomatically. You have to start it separatly. In the AU world you don't need to put fantasia to special directory. Actually I have the .jar on my desktop. The Linuxserver backend is started when you insert the ls-plugin. Starting fantasia - afterwards - will automatically connect it with the linuxsampler backend and the linuxsampler plugin (setting up a midichannel and output for every inserted plugin instance). Every added instance gets new audio and midi channels in fantasia. This is a lot better to oversee since it is only one Gui for as many instances as you like.

Andreas
Developer

Post by Andreas » Sat Apr 25, 2009 6:24 am

ggoodesa wrote:Hi,
I have built the most recent CVS version of linuxsampler in windows and have the standalone version working wonderfully. I now need to get the VST version working.... but I don't know what files should go where or what version of Fantasia should be used, and I can't find any instructions on how to use it.
The LinuxSampler.dll is the VSTi plugin, and it should be put where you usually put those. It could be C:\Program Files\Steinberg\VstPlugins for example. Your sequencer probably let you configure the places it looks for VST plugins too.

Then, liblinuxsampler-1.dll and libgig-6.dll need to be put in a directory that is included in your system PATH. You could for example put them in C:\Program Files\LinuxSampler and then add this directory to the PATH enviroment variable (by opening Control Panel, System, Advanced, Environment Variables). That's how we plan to let the installer do.

An alternative is to put liblinuxsampler-1.dll and libgig-6.dll in the directory where the exe file of your sequencer is.

Finally, the Fanatasia jar file must be put in C:\Program Files\LinuxSampler. The VSTi looks for a file matching %PROGRAMFILES%\LinuxSampler\Fantasia*.jar and takes the first one it finds. The most recent one is fine, but make sure that you remove the old ones from the directory.

ggoodesa
Advanced User

Post by ggoodesa » Sat Apr 25, 2009 7:35 am

Thanks for the extra info Andreas. As far as I can see I have followed the proceedure outlined in the build-how-to (I'm not a programmer, so I tend to follow your notes everytime I compile just to make sure I'm doing it right).

I have now added C:\Program Files\LinuxSampler to the PATH statement and updated all the dll, exe, and .jar files in the \LinuxSampler directory to my latest build with the latest Fantasia download.
Using the Cantabile lite VST host everything works, I load the LinuxSampler.dll and Fantasia loads automatically with the MIDI and Audio configured. I can load a GIG and play it with the Fantasia Keyboard, send MIDI through Cantabile, etc.

When clearing the cache and rescanning the VSTs in Reaper, and in Sonar, I now get the following error message:
"The procedure entry point_ZN12LinuxSampler6Plugin4InitEiii could not be located in the dynamic link library liblinuxsampler-1.dll"
Once the scan is complete, linuxsampler is still not listed in the VSTi or VST pluggins - obviously because of the error.

Does this shed any light? Any idea's as to what to do to fix it?

Thanks for all the help so far!
GrahamG

Andreas
Developer

Post by Andreas » Sat Apr 25, 2009 8:14 am

ggoodesa wrote:When clearing the cache and rescanning the VSTs in Reaper, and in Sonar, I now get the following error message:
"The procedure entry point_ZN12LinuxSampler6Plugin4InitEiii could not be located in the dynamic link library liblinuxsampler-1.dll"
That's weird. I think the error means that LinuxSampler.dll and liblinuxsampler-1.dll is not of compatible versions. The interface of the Init function in LinuxSampler::Plugin was changed 2009-02-16. I think the LinuxSampler.dll that your Reaper and Sonar is using is newer than that, but the liblinuxsampler-1.dll is older. Maybe you have some old liblinuxsampler-1.dll files left somewhere from earlier experiments?

ggoodesa
Advanced User

Post by ggoodesa » Sat Apr 25, 2009 8:57 am

I just recopied all the dlls from the build machine on to the organ computer and still get the same error... It looks like the LinuxSampler version was bumped up to version 0.5.1.12cvs on 2009-03-27. Would this be causing the version missmatch?

Andreas
Developer

Post by Andreas » Sat Apr 25, 2009 9:54 am

ggoodesa wrote:I just recopied all the dlls from the build machine on to the organ computer and still get the same error... It looks like the LinuxSampler version was bumped up to version 0.5.1.12cvs on 2009-03-27. Would this be causing the version missmatch?
No. Are you sure you don't have any old versions of liblinuxsampler-1.dll anywhere on the hard disc? The sequencers may modify the search path for DLLs before loading VSTs, so some of them might for example include their vst plugin directories, while some are not.

If you, while the error dialog is visible, start Process Explorer (free tool from microsoft), and mark the reaper.exe process, and show DLLs in the lower panel, you can see what dll files that are actually loaded by Reaper.

ggoodesa
Advanced User

Post by ggoodesa » Sat Apr 25, 2009 10:54 pm

Yup, would you believe it, there was an old version in "C:\WINDOWS\system32"! from a build I did last December. There was a libgig in there as well, so all those are gone and it's now listing in Reaper. Thank you! Thank you!!
GrahamG

bartonbrass

Post by bartonbrass » Sun Apr 26, 2009 6:07 am

Hi Grahm, I havn't been online in months, I've been taking care of my grandmother. Anyway I just got my DSL moved, I know have internet yeaaa woohoo lol. soo you have compiled a new version of Linuxsampler? If soo could you Email it to me ; )

Opps and I need the Standalone version, need to read the topic better lol.

Jake C.
Bartonbrass@sbcglobal.net

ggoodesa
Advanced User

Post by ggoodesa » Sun Apr 26, 2009 8:54 am

Hi Jake,
You can get my build (stand-alone and VST) from: http://cid-c6dd879f60fadf98.skydrive.li ... kL36thM%24

This will install my most recent CVS build in "C:\Program Files\LinuxSampler -CVS23.04.09".

For those wanting to use the VST you'll have to copy all the files into "C:\Program Files\LinuxSampler" and set the LinuxSampler directoy in the PATH statement. Then put the LinuxSampler.dll from the VST.rar into your VST pluggins folder.

Let me know if you get it running on your system!
GrahamG