Getting to work on Mac OS X

You're new to the LinuxSampler world? You don't know where to start and nothing works? Here's the place to ask for help.
asmeurer

Re: Getting to work on Mac OS X

Post by asmeurer » Sat Feb 28, 2009 6:18 am

grishata wrote:asmeurer,
Sorry, I think I deleted your last post by mistake. I should pay more attention where I'm clicking. :oops:
No. I deleted it. I wasn't sure if it was really working, because I fiddled around after I saw that it worked and then I only heard it in my left ear and I thought that maybe I didn't notice. But it turned out that it really was working and that I just messed it up by changing it too much (see my last post). The software is very delicate, though much less so now that I don't have to use Jack. Getting that to work almost certainty required a restart if I had done any changing, which I usually had because I was trying to get it to work. Otherwise jack would just refuse to start or qsampler would refuse to let me create an audio channel or something. It is still this way with qsampler to some extent, but it is much nicer because it automatically recognizes the Audio Unit.

Of course, this still has some way to go. Someone who has less patience and will to get it to work than me (which would be almost everyone) would almost certainly never get this working, mainly because it is so buggy and they would give up as soon as it didn't work on the first (or third) try. I must say though that, in the time that I have tried to do this, the ease of use on the mac has progressed considerably, mainly because of the Audio Unit.

grishata
Developer

Post by grishata » Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:49 am

grishata wrote: wrote:
asmeurer,
Sorry, I think I deleted your last post by mistake. I should pay more attention where I'm clicking.
asmeurer wrote:No. I deleted it.
As usual I was doing several things at a time and wasn't sure for any of the things I've done. Glad that this wasn't one of them :)
asmeurer wrote:Someone who has less patience and will to get it to work than me (which would be almost everyone) would almost certainly never get this working
I admire your persistence on that one and it definitely helps the improvement of LS.
asmeurer wrote:Maybe I will try fantasia, even though I have to change the Java settings back and forth to use it (other Java apps don't work so well with Java 6).
If you don't want to make Java 6 the default java version you can still start Fantasia from a terminal or by using a script.
To start Fantasia from terminal go to /Applications/Utilities and run Terminal then issue the following command:

Code: Select all

/System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.6.0/Commands/java -jar <path-to-fantasia>/Fantasia.jar
where you need to substitute <path-to-fantasia>/Fantasia.jar with valid path.

To create script from terminal:

echo "/System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.6.0/Commands/java -jar <path-to-fantasia>/Fantasia.jar" > fantasia.command
chmod +x fantasia.command
Then you can launch Fantasia from finder by double-clicking fantasia.command

grishata
Developer

Post by grishata » Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:27 pm

asmeurer wrote:The problem is that qsampler does not take it well if GarageBand closes off its connection to it
I think I fixed this, at least on backend side. We'll see in the next test release.

asmeurer

Post by asmeurer » Sun Mar 01, 2009 7:16 pm

grishata wrote:To create script from terminal:

echo "/System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.6.0/Commands/java -jar <path-to-fantasia>/Fantasia.jar" > fantasia.command
chmod +x fantasia.command
Then you can launch Fantasia from finder by double-clicking fantasia.command
Thanks for that. Fantasia is more stable than qsampler, is much nicer looking, has more features (such as the built in keyboard), is faster (loading the giga file into the config window lags in qsampler), and is easier to use (the interface is more straightforward and predictable).