Virtual Theatre Pipe Organs and Puppy Linux 4.0

You name it!
ggoodesa
Advanced User

Re: Virtual Theatre Pipe Organs and Puppy Linux 4.0

Post by ggoodesa » Fri Oct 10, 2008 12:08 pm

Hi Graham,

Your VTPO MacPup looks awesome! What did you use to get the Miditzer icon looking so great?

Re: Aeolus... I already have it up and running on my laptop Puppy, so just need time to make a PET and upload it. Will let you know when it's ready :-)

Isn't this FUN!!

GrahamG

moonskin
User

Post by moonskin » Fri Oct 10, 2008 1:30 pm

ggoodesa wrote:Hi Graham,

Your VTPO MacPup looks awesome! What did you use to get the Miditzer icon looking so great?
I just mucked around in photoshop while I was waiting for a tradesman to turn up. The icons are for wbar which is installed as part of the macpup macgic.J package (http://macpup.org/packages.php)

They are 128x128px .png files and you have to design them with a reflection at the bottom. I've made a zip file of them at http://grahamwykes.googlepages.com/wbarlogos.zip

They go in usr/share/wbar/wbar.icons then you have to edit root/.wbar. The structure is really obvious. The only thing I had to do was create a shell script in root to run Miditzer and wbar runs the shell script.
Re: Aeolus... I already have it up and running on my laptop Puppy, so just need time to make a PET and upload it. Will let you know when it's ready :-)

Isn't this FUN!!
It certainly is!

Cheers
Graham

zane

Post by zane » Tue Oct 21, 2008 8:59 pm

A bit off-topic perhaps, but I've been working with Mac OS Leopard, Linuxsampler, JackOS X. I am successfully able to play any pipe sample from the Allman Universal VTPO Giga Studio Sound File library directly from QSampler/Linuxsampler. I am using a Focusrite Saffire for the sound processor. This part works fine. however, I'm stuck at this point. I can't seem to get Miditzer connected or jOrgan, for that matter. Also all of the samples are untremmed. Is Miditzer or jOrgan providing a tremulant model or am I missing something here?

Do you have any suggestions for online readings or resources to get me to the next step? I'm also working on the same thing on my 64-bit Ubuntu computer, though there's the added challenge of getting the Focusrite Saffire working too.

Thanks in advance for any links, advice, etc.!

Zane

ggoodesa
Advanced User

Post by ggoodesa » Mon Oct 27, 2008 2:13 pm

Hi Zane,

I think I replied to you on the VTPO forum, but just in case I'm putting some information here. Miditzer needs to connect to the LinuxSampler Midi ports and your midi keyboards need to connect to Miditzer, so whatever Windows emulation/translation layer that your using must be able to access the LinuxSampler Midi ports or virtual Midi ports that can be used to connect to LinuxSampler.
The GIGs that Kent hosts (made by Joe Hardy and Kent Allman) control the sampled trems through the Modulation (CC1) effect. In Miditzer you need to change the trems from 'Patch' to 'Modulation' control.

If you need more help on this just let us know :-)

GrahamG

rooz

Post by rooz » Fri Oct 31, 2008 12:23 pm

May I ask: why Puppy?

ggoodesa
Advanced User

Post by ggoodesa » Sat Nov 01, 2008 11:37 am

Hi Rooz,

Mainly because Puppy Linux is one of the smallest linux distributions, and easier to use than DSL (Damn Small Linux). It is also wonderfully configurable and allows one to create custom CDs and USB drive installations. So I can have my VTPO on a memory stick :-)

It is also really user friendly, so it is easier for those who are not used to Linux to follow a simple 'How-to' and create their own configuration.

We're also using Ubuntu Studio, but that requires a hard drive installation and a little bit more 'know how'.

GrahamG

rooz

Post by rooz » Sat Nov 01, 2008 11:44 am

Ok, clear. Did you consider to use Dynebolic? You just have to copy the 'dyne' folder to your harddisk for faster booting, no need for installing..

And you can make an Linuxsampler and organ module...!?:

http://dynebolic.org/manual/x165.htm
http://ftp.cs.pu.edu.tw/Linux/dynebolic/modules/

moonskin
User

Post by moonskin » Sun Nov 02, 2008 10:51 am

The other reason I like Puppy is that you can have it run entirely in RAM.

Graham

ggoodesa
Advanced User

Post by ggoodesa » Fri Nov 07, 2008 1:49 pm

Hi Rooz,

Yes, I played with DyneBolic quite a bit, but went with Puppy as it was easier to create our own distro iso that could be booted from a CD (for those users still using WinXP who just wanted to try it out). It might to be possible to do the same in Dyne so will have another look at it next year.

GrahamG
Johannesburg, South Africa