[solved] linuxsampler VST error in Windows 7 x64

You're new to the LinuxSampler world? You don't know where to start and nothing works? Here's the place to ask for help.
mrbumpy409

[solved] linuxsampler VST error in Windows 7 x64

Post by mrbumpy409 » Mon Oct 29, 2012 6:17 pm

I am unable to use LinuxSampler in either of my DAWs (SONAR X1 and Mixcraft 6). When starting up Mixcraft, I get the following error:
The program can't start because liblinuxsampler-3.dll is missing from your computer. Try reinstalling the program to fix this problem.
I checked, and liblinuxsampler-3.dll is there in the program's install folder. In SONAR, the error message pops up when trying to insert linuxsampler as a synth instead of during DAW startup.

I have tried most of the linuxsampler Windows binaries from 20120610 to 20121004 to no avail. The standalone version works just fine (tested using JSampler). This problem happens both on my desktop and my laptop, but I have yet to find any info online about anyone else having this issue. Am I really the only one having this problem? On two computers?
Last edited by mrbumpy409 on Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

mrbumpy409

Re: linuxsampler VST error in Windows 7 x64

Post by mrbumpy409 » Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:33 am

Okay, I figured out what was going wrong. Apparently, the LinuxSampler installer adds it's libraries folders to the Windows path environment variable, but this doesn't take effect until after a reboot. So, if I reboot the computer after installing LinuxSampler, everything works fine.

Each time there was a new Windows snapshot, I would install it, see if the VST worked, and then when it threw the error, I would uninstall LinuxSampler to keep that error from popping up every time I started Mixcraft. I never thought to try rebooting after installation. Perhaps a suggestion to reboot should be added to the installer.