Backend connection and LSCP loading trouble

You're new to the LinuxSampler world? You don't know where to start and nothing works? Here's the place to ask for help.
thesafeplaces

Backend connection and LSCP loading trouble

Post by thesafeplaces » Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:41 pm

Hi,

I'm having some trouble with LinuxSampler+Fantasia -

1. When I start Fantasia, I get "Connecting to LinuxSampler : Can't establish connection"
Then the 'Choose backend to connect' screen comes up, there's an instance there, I click connect. All goes well from there...

2....till I click 'Export current sampler configuration as LSCP script' and then load any script - I get
"Connection to backend failed."
I click Reconnect, I get
"Connecting to LinuxSampler : Can't establish connection".

3. And one regarding QSampler, even though I select SFZ under engine, I can't see any of my SFZ files in the browser! These same SFZs show up and load perfectly in Fantasia. For some reason, QSampler also seems to be very random-crash-, random-disappear- and random-segfault-happy...

What am I doing wrong? x_x

FWIW - Synaptic shows versions of
liblinuxsampler, liblinuxsampler-dev, and linuxsampler as 1.0.0+cvs2277avlinux-1,
jsampler-fantasia version as 0.9avlinux-1,
and qsampler version as 0.2.2-2.

Thank you for your time.

thesafeplaces

Re: Backend connection and LSCP loading trouble

Post by thesafeplaces » Fri Jun 22, 2012 2:03 pm

Bump. Anyone? Help? Please? x_x

bob_e_s

Post by bob_e_s » Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:04 am

Just thought I'd add to this - sounds like iI'm having exactly the same trouble - can't get Jsampler to run, with the same error messages.

Help!

thesafeplaces

Post by thesafeplaces » Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:35 am

In the meantime, I tried to install LS from source, which didn't get past building (despite applying the given build reference tickets).

I then decided to install AVLinux 5.0.3, which has -
linuxsampler 1.0.0+cvs2277avlinux-1
liblscp6 0.5.6+cvs2277avlinux-3
liblscp-dev 0.5.6+cvs2277avlinux-3
qsampler 0.2.2+SVN2281avlinux-1
liblinuxsampler-dev 1.0.0+cvs2277avlinux-1
liblinuxsampler 1.0.0+cvs2277avlinux-1
gigedit 0.2.0+cvs2277avlinux-1
libgig6 3.3.0+cvs2277avlinux-1
libgig-dev 3.3.0+cvs2277avlinux-1
Now, QSampler actually sees my SFZs, and the fact that it has some keyboard shortcuts and that it now saves some settings in New Channel is a heaven-sent feature - because it still doesn't load LSCP files! >_<

It says -
Could not get current list of channels. Sorry.
and then
Session loaded with errors. Sorry.
And the resulting 'loaded session' has nothing from the session I had saved.

Well, atleast I don't have to configure everything (devices etc) from scratch, and qsampler atleast supports keyboard shortcuts unlike Jsampler. But I really doubt if I can use this live - if there's a crash or anything, instead of loading an LSCP file I'll still have to do things like making a new channel, loading the instrument, and set gain to 1.0 db all over again, wasting precious time.

Can anyone help?

bob_e_s

Post by bob_e_s » Wed Jun 27, 2012 5:45 pm

I've emailed the designers Benno and Christian, and Benno didn't reply but Christian got back to me basically saying 'I don't know, can't help'.

Bit frustrating, so I think I'm going to give up. I was hoping for something I could just install and use, so maybe this isn't the software for me.

Andreas
Developer

Post by Andreas » Thu Jun 28, 2012 7:09 pm

thesafeplaces wrote: 1. When I start Fantasia, I get "Connecting to LinuxSampler : Can't establish connection"
Then the 'Choose backend to connect' screen comes up, there's an instance there, I click connect. All goes well from there...

2....till I click 'Export current sampler configuration as LSCP script' and then load any script - I get
"Connection to backend failed."
I click Reconnect, I get
"Connecting to LinuxSampler : Can't establish connection".
If "can't establish connection" suddenly shows up it's a sign that linuxsampler has crashed. Start linuxsampler in a separate terminal first, and then run Fantasia and observe what's happening in the linuxsampler terminal.

Andreas
Developer

Post by Andreas » Thu Jun 28, 2012 7:19 pm

thesafeplaces wrote: Now, QSampler actually sees my SFZs, and the fact that it has some keyboard shortcuts and that it now saves some settings in New Channel is a heaven-sent feature - because it still doesn't load LSCP files!
Does loading your lscp file with netcat/ncat/nc (that is: netcat localhost 8888 < file.lscp) work better?