Relocation/renaming of gigs and the instrument database

You're new to the LinuxSampler world? You don't know where to start and nothing works? Here's the place to ask for help.
dahnielson

Relocation/renaming of gigs and the instrument database

Post by dahnielson » Sat Feb 23, 2008 12:47 am

I have built quite an extensive instrument database and love it. It's so easy to work with, organizing instruments, loading them into channels and building instrument midi maps. Now I wonder how I will go about things if I decide to relocate the gigs or rename part of the path to them in the file system.

Do I have to redo much of my work in that case? Or is there a built in way to deal with it? Or do I simply have to log some hours in the SQLite Database Browser?
Anders Dahnielson

Ardour2, Qtractor, Linuxsampler, M-AUDIO Delta 1010, Axiom 61, Korg D12, AKAI S2000, E-MU Proteus 2k, Roland R-5, Roland HP 1300e, Zoom RFX-1000, 4GB RAM x86_64 Intel Pentium Dual 1.80GHz Gentoo Linux

grishata
Developer

Re: Relocation/renaming of gigs and the instrument database

Post by grishata » Tue Feb 26, 2008 5:33 pm

Do I have to redo much of my work in that case? Or is there a built in way to deal with it?
No, there isn't such a feature in the instruments database.

dahnielson

Post by dahnielson » Tue Feb 26, 2008 6:21 pm

One proposal would be the ability to search for "lost" gig files (if you rename a directory or move them) and just update the path to them in the database.
Anders Dahnielson

Ardour2, Qtractor, Linuxsampler, M-AUDIO Delta 1010, Axiom 61, Korg D12, AKAI S2000, E-MU Proteus 2k, Roland R-5, Roland HP 1300e, Zoom RFX-1000, 4GB RAM x86_64 Intel Pentium Dual 1.80GHz Gentoo Linux

lowkey
User

Post by lowkey » Wed Mar 05, 2008 8:48 pm

+1

Being able to back up the database would be a really cool feature.

davephillips
User

Post by davephillips » Tue Mar 11, 2008 10:06 am

dahnielson wrote:One proposal would be the ability to search for "lost" gig files (if you rename a directory or move them) and just update the path to them in the database.
Agree++.

I think Reaper does something like that, it's very helpful.

Alex

Post by Alex » Tue Mar 11, 2008 2:08 pm

I still have a couple of challenges with the database, to do with trying to build it from two HD's. I get consistent error messages when trying to import from a directory. (I'm trying to do this becase i have a LOT of orchestral gig files, and doing this manually will be a very slow process.)
In addition, if the database gig directory import fails with an error, it hard locks fantasia, and i have to kill from the command line to shut it and start again.
But, i've got most of the files in now, and i will agree with Anders from another post reference he made, that the DB makes setting up large templates, and 'orchestras' easy, so all is not lost. :mrgreen:
Here's another vote for being able to auto 'update' the DB from a scan, even if files have moved.

Alex.

dahnielson

Post by dahnielson » Tue Mar 11, 2008 2:20 pm

BTW, I didn't import whole directories of gigs, just one file at the time. One reason for it was that I wanted the content of each gig file put into their own "folder" in the DB and some finer control over what was imported.

I use a scheme similar to this: '/LibraryProducer/LibraryName/SoloOrEnsemble/Instrument/Articulation/' for the folder structure so that the paths looks like this: '/Dahnielson/Brass Band/Ensemble/Cornett-4/Short Notes/'.
Anders Dahnielson

Alex

Post by Alex » Tue Mar 11, 2008 2:45 pm

Hehe.
I guess what i'm really trying to say is, i know i'll have to add one instrument at a time, and i was looking for an easy way out! :mrgreen:

Aaah well, back to naming and importing, one at a time.

Sigh...

Alex,.

grishata
Developer

Post by grishata » Fri Mar 14, 2008 3:10 pm

Being able to back up the database would be a really cool feature.
You can always backup the instruments database by copying the database file, which default location is /var/lib/linuxsampler/instruments.db
You can also specify which database file to be used by LinuxSampler on startup. For example:
linuxsampler --instruments-db-location /home/me/instruments.db
One proposal would be the ability to search for "lost" gig files (if you rename a directory or move them) and just update the path to them in the database.
I'll implement this.

lowkey
User

Post by lowkey » Sun Mar 16, 2008 11:49 am

Thank you :)