What to do with a DLS soundfont

You're new to the LinuxSampler world? You don't know where to start and nothing works? Here's the place to ask for help.
rolandbb2000

What to do with a DLS soundfont

Post by rolandbb2000 » Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:35 pm

Hi,
sorry if I missed an important part of documentation but:
I have an excelent sound library in DLS format which came with this software:
http://www.write-music.com/download.html

In order to post-process music I would like to get the Linux Sampler VST to play these DLS sounds.
I tried to load it into Fantasia. The instrument names are shown but nothing is played.

Is it at all possible to play DLS format samples with LinuxSampler or does anyone know how to easily convert them into .gig or .sf2? I have no problems with either of these formats.
Thanks in advance, Roland

Alex

Re: What to do with a DLS soundfont

Post by Alex » Thu Aug 11, 2011 10:59 am

Roland, it may be possible to approach from 2 directions.

1. Buy a dedicated sample converter like:

http://www.extranslator.com/index.php?page=exsc

This will convert most formats including DLS.

2. Extract the samples yourself, and build SFZ files. This may seem time consuming at first, but the SFZ format is powerful and works fine in LS. By the nature of its construction, SFZ consists of nothing more than a folder full of samples, and a "some-instrument-name.sfz" file you build yourself, which is read by LS.

I have a very old collection of choir samples that i gave the SFZ treatment to, and they turned out well. (Still plenty more to do, but it's a one time task.)

Alex.

cuse
Developer

Re: What to do with a DLS soundfont

Post by cuse » Sat Sep 24, 2011 12:21 am

The libgig C++ library, which LinuxSampler uses for loading patch files, supports DLS files, however a DLS sampler engine was never implemented so far, due to the fact that this format never reached a common relevance.