max pitch value (octaves)

You're new to the LinuxSampler world? You don't know where to start and nothing works? Here's the place to ask for help.
Alex

max pitch value (octaves)

Post by Alex » Wed Aug 03, 2011 3:47 pm

A question that i've been meaning to ask for some time.

In the configure options is: --max-pitch-value (octaves) then a short paragraph about possible memory saving with a smaller value than the default 4.

Can i ask what exactly this option does, and how does the value pertain to something like a large sample library, where there's generally a sample for each semitone.

Does this value dictate the possible available "stretch" of a single sample in pitch?

Does it dictate the maximum octave range in pitch that LS will process in an instance?

Or other?

Alex.

cuse
Developer

Re: max pitch value (octaves)

Post by cuse » Fri Aug 19, 2011 8:57 am

It defines how many octaves one particular sample can be transposed (or as you say it "stretched") from its original tone pitch. This is especially relevant for up-pitching a sample. The sampler needs to know a global all-time maximum value here, so the required audio processing buffers can be allocated large enough on startup to achieve such high maximum pitches of a sample in one audio period / fragment.

Alex

Post by Alex » Fri Aug 19, 2011 9:48 am

Thanks, that will help.

I don't have anything i'm using in LS that is stretched by more than 5 semitones (nearly all is ST, or Tone based), so i'll try this with 1 octave, and see if something falls over.

Alex.

Alex

Post by Alex » Fri Aug 19, 2011 10:32 am

Cuse, starts, runs, and reducing the max-pitch to 1 octave seems to have saved me a bit of RAM.

Thanks for the heads up.

Alex.