Internal Effects Example

You're new to the LinuxSampler world? You don't know where to start and nothing works? Here's the place to ask for help.
grishata
Developer

Internal Effects Example

Post by grishata » Mon Jul 04, 2011 11:55 am

Hi guys,
Fantasia now has experimental support for internal effects through the Sampler Browser.
Here is an example on how to assign destination effect to FX send. First, create audio device, add sampler channel and add effect send to the sampler channel (for example My Fx Send). Then, choose Window/Sampler Browser and go to /Sampler/Audio output devices/Audio device 0/Send effect chains. Right-click on Send effect chains and choose Add send effect chain. Right-click on the newly added send effect chain Send effect chain 0 and choose Append new effect instance(s). Select the effects you want to add to the effect chain and click the OK button. After that, go to /Sampler/Sampler Channels/Channel Lane 1/Channel #1.1/Fx Sends/My Fx Send, right-click on Destination effect and choose (Re)assign destination effect. In the Choose Destination Effect dialog select Send effect chain 0 and click OK. That's it!

nicop
User

Re: Internal Effects Example

Post by nicop » Wed Jul 06, 2011 10:33 am

Very good news!
Just tested, it adds a lot of new possibilities to LS, thanks a lot!

cuse
Developer

Post by cuse » Sat Sep 24, 2011 12:39 am

Nice! :) Good that there becomes finally a use for the internal effects.

nicop
User

Post by nicop » Sat Sep 24, 2011 8:52 pm

Hi!
When I try to load a LSCP file with a internal effect example, the backend's log starts to show al lot of messages like this:
(1->1)Engine::RouteAudio() Error: invalid FX send (R) destination channel (1->1)Engine::RouteAudio() Error: invalid FX send (R) destination channel

Here is the LSCP:
# Exported by: JSampler - a java front-end for LinuxSampler

# Version: 0.9cvs1

# Date: Wed Jul 06 11:19:24 CEST 2011

RESET

SET VOLUME 0.35

CREATE AUDIO_OUTPUT_DEVICE JACK ACTIVE=true CHANNELS=2 SAMPLERATE=44100 NAME='LinuxSampler'

SET AUDIO_OUTPUT_CHANNEL_PARAMETER 0 0 NAME='0'

SET AUDIO_OUTPUT_CHANNEL_PARAMETER 0 0 JACK_BINDINGS=NONE

SET AUDIO_OUTPUT_CHANNEL_PARAMETER 0 1 NAME='1'

SET AUDIO_OUTPUT_CHANNEL_PARAMETER 0 1 JACK_BINDINGS=NONE

ADD SEND_EFFECT_CHAIN 0

CREATE EFFECT_INSTANCE LADSPA '/usr/lib/ladspa/plate_1423.so' 'plate'

APPEND SEND_EFFECT_CHAIN EFFECT 0 0 0

REMOVE MIDI_INSTRUMENT_MAP ALL

ADD CHANNEL

LOAD ENGINE GIG 0

SET CHANNEL VOLUME 0 1.0

SET CHANNEL MIDI_INSTRUMENT_MAP 0 NONE

SET CHANNEL AUDIO_OUTPUT_DEVICE 0 0

LOAD INSTRUMENT NON_MODAL '/home/nik/Personal/AudioPRO/samples/Gigs/philharmonia_violin_medium.gig' 0 0

CREATE FX_SEND 0 3 'pluto'

SET FX_SEND LEVEL 0 0 1.0

SET FX_SEND AUDIO_OUTPUT_CHANNEL 0 0 0 0

SET FX_SEND AUDIO_OUTPUT_CHANNEL 0 0 1 1

SET FX_SEND EFFECT 0 0 0 0

#jsampler.fantasia: [channel]

#jsampler.fantasia: channelLane = 1

#jsampler.fantasia: viewType = NORMAL

#jsampler.fantasia: expanded = false

#

#jsampler.fantasia: [audio device]

#jsampler.fantasia: expanded = false

#

nicop
User

Post by nicop » Fri Dec 09, 2011 1:40 pm

Hi, I just found out the reason of the "invalid FX send (R) destination channel" messages.
These messages are shown when I try to connect a channel FX send to an effect chain that has a MONO IN - STEREO OUT effect, like GVerb or others.
If I remap both Right and Left FX sends to the Left channel of the chain, the messages stops.

RobS

Post by RobS » Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:08 pm

In Windows 7 64-bit, using Linux Sampler and Fantasia, it is possible to use the set of free 32-bit LADSPA effects that are supplied with Audacity.
You must run the 32-bit version of Linux Sampler for Windows, because the LADSPA effects are not recognised by 64-bit Linux Sampler for Windows.

First, install Audacity in the folder:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Audacity

Then install the additional 90+ free downloadable LADSPA EFX plug-ins into the default Audacity location (do not change the location)

Next, the following two files need to be cut and pasted manually from

C:\Program Files (x86)\Audacity\Plug-Ins

ladspa-util.dll
libfftw3f-3.dll

you need to move those files here: C:\Windows\SysWOW64

Those two .DLL's are not plug-ins, they are library DLL's called by some of the Audacity LADSPA plug-ins. I know the two .dll's are 32-bit DLL's but they did not work with Linux Sampler when I tried them in \System and \System32 folders.

Then modify the Start Menu shortcut for Linux Sampler so it runs the 32-bit version. Here is the path you need:

"Program Files\LinuxSampler\32\linuxsampler.exe"

Then run Linux Sampler (backend). It finds the Audacity\Plug-Ins folder automatically.

You should see a status message in the status window indicating that 104 effects DLL's are now loaded and accessible to Linux Sampler and Fantasia. You can view and assign the Effects in the Fantasia Sampler Browser Window.

Audio routing for EFX using ASIO in Windows is another matter, because Windows and most sound cards only have a pair of ASIO channels available. So you can not set up extra FX sends. A multi-channel virtual ASIO driver such as Reaper's ReaRoute driver resolves this problem, if the user has a license to Reaper. I could not use JACK /JACK2 to resolve the ASIO driver problems in Windows, because JACK recognizes only a single pair of hardware-based ASIO ports and does not allow additional virtual ASIO ports to be created in a Windows environment. If anyone knows any Open Source way to do logical channel ASIO routing and mixing in Windows, please share here ? ...

What is needed is a Logical ASIO device driver that provides say 30 inputs and output pipes for routing ASIO internal "virtual" send and receive buses, and also allows the user to map the logical channels onto physical hardware channels.
A bit like what LoopBe30 does when it provides 30 internal MIDI virtual buses, except we need ASIO stereo buses instead of MIDI.