Jack Midi Ports.

You're new to the LinuxSampler world? You don't know where to start and nothing works? Here's the place to ask for help.
Alex

Jack Midi Ports.

Post by Alex » Wed Feb 20, 2008 8:29 pm

Ok, a new challenge has popped up in the wonderful world of LSampler Development. :mrgreen:

As has been fairly widely known among the linux Reaper users, i've been thrilled with a multi midi port setup, through Wineasio into Reaper.
No longer limited by software restrictions, Alsa midi ports in Jack were numerous, and enable me to port out from Reaper, through Wine, into Linuxsampler, for up to 32 ports. Excellent.
Now i have a challenge. Since the advent of Jack midi defaults in LS, and i'm a big fan of this, the downside is, Reaper can no longer see multiple wine alsa midi ports, but just 1 jack midi port. Understandably, this will have a fairly significant impact on my 216channel, 18 midi port (so far) linuxsampler orchestral template, as i'll no longer be able to assign and switch ports with ease. I've gone from 18, to 1.
Now all is not entirely lost, as i can use a 'link' utility, called alsa2jackmidi to link at least 1 alsa midi port, to 1 jack midi port in qjackctl.

Is there any way i can configure a2j to see more than one port? Or is there anyway i can use more than one jack midi port through wine into Reaper?

Any help with this would be appreciated!

Alex.
8-)

Alex

Re: Jack Midi Ports.

Post by Alex » Fri Feb 22, 2008 10:01 am

Ok, here's some pictures of this particular challenge.

Here, i've only started an Alsa device. but qsamp has given me a jack device as well, for some reason.

And here, in the pick options for midi device window, i can only select jack, twice. Even though i have an alsa midi device, that i want to use to go through wineasio into wine.

Alex.

Alanpasi

Post by Alanpasi » Fri Feb 22, 2008 11:38 pm

Alex

Post by Alex » Sat Feb 23, 2008 9:03 pm

Yep, same thing Alan.

I've got around this for the time being by using qtractor, as a midilink, and it works pretty well, with all the built midi in/out ports showing up in a2j in qjackctl.
I've also spoken with Christian about this, and he's going to look at it.

Alex.

Alex

Post by Alex » Mon Feb 25, 2008 2:55 pm

Just a quick follow up, qtractor is doing a good job providing an interface between alsa and jack midi, and chews little resource when loaded and running in the background. 16 ports in and out no prob, and because the master devices are multi port, even if qtractor tracks are not (which isn't a bad thing) we're able to use multi channel in out of each ports into LS.

Alex

cuse
Developer

Post by cuse » Tue Feb 26, 2008 5:08 pm

I just fixed a minor bug in the channel setup dialog of QSampler, which caused that chaos in those combo boxes (was Qt3 legacy code). I didn't have much time these days to investigate this further, so please let me know if everything's fine now or if theres more to do.

Alex

Post by Alex » Tue Feb 26, 2008 5:49 pm

C,
I get this error when trying to build qsampler:

src/qsamplerChannelFxForm.h:25:38: error: ui_qsamplerChannelFxForm.h: No such file or directory
src/qsamplerChannelFxForm.h:53: error: ‘qsamplerChannelFxForm’ in namespace ‘Ui’ does not name a type
make[2]: *** [qsamplerChannelStrip.o] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/alex/qsampler'
make[1]: *** [qsampler] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/alex/qsampler'
make: *** [build-stamp] Error 2

Alex.

cuse
Developer

Post by cuse » Tue Feb 26, 2008 8:16 pm

Alex wrote:I get this error when trying to build qsampler:

src/qsamplerChannelFxForm.h:25:38: error: ui_qsamplerChannelFxForm.h: No such file or directory
I added that source UI file recently to CVS. You have to update the Qt project file:

Code: Select all

make -f Makefile.cvs
./configure
make

Alex

Post by Alex » Tue Feb 26, 2008 10:35 pm

Fixed!
Done.
Compiled.
Installed.
Runs.