Drumkits

You're new to the LinuxSampler world? You don't know where to start and nothing works? Here's the place to ask for help.
nicop
User

Drumkits

Post by nicop » Thu Mar 31, 2011 3:28 pm

Hi, first of all: thanks for the efforts you put in LS, it's a great software!
I'm a e-drummer and I'm trying to use LS for my drumkits.
I converted some Battery3 kits into GIG and SFZ formats, and now I'm using Fantasia frontend to manage my kits.
It's all very suitable for me, except that I don't know how to assign a FX send to a single drum instrument.
I know how to assign a FX send to a sampler channel, but for a drum kit it's a bit different: every note is a different drum sound (snare, bassdrum, etc...) and I'd like to assign a different FX value to each note.
For example, I put a reverb in a FX send but I don't want to assign the same level of reverb to all the drum sounds of the kit.
It is possible to do this?

Thanks again

Alex

Re: Drumkits

Post by Alex » Fri Apr 01, 2011 4:03 am

nicop,

have you tried using multiple channels, one for each sound? Then apply an FX to each channel.

Alex.

nicop
User

Post by nicop » Fri Apr 01, 2011 9:53 am

Hi, thanks for the quick response.
No, I haven't try the multi channels, how can I configure them? Actually I'm using the latest CVS of linuxsampler and gigedit.

thanks!

Alex

Post by Alex » Sun Apr 03, 2011 10:11 pm

Nicop,

For each midi port you get 16 channels.

Create a channel strip, then on the right of the strip you'll see a down arrow for options. Press the arrow, and you'll see the channel expand with extra options for you to set.

In that option section, in the middle you'll see a value box in which you can set a specific midi channel. (By default any channel you add is set to receive all channels per strip.)
Add 16 channel strips, and using the set midi channel option, set a channel for each strip, 1 - 16, for the specified midi port.

With 16 channels, you can set an FX effect for each, according to taste.

Alex.

nicop
User

Post by nicop » Mon Apr 04, 2011 12:39 pm

Ok, thanks! Now I have understood... I hope :-)
So if I want a drum kit with snare, hi-hat and bass drum and I want to give different FX send for each instrument, I'll have to create three channel strips, and load -for example- snare.gig in the first channel strip, hihat.gig in the second and bassdrum.gig in the third.
After, I'll have to create FX sends for each channel strip.

In my live gigs I play a lot of different drum kits, so if there isn't a better way to do this, I think I'll create a channel for each instrument, and I'll assign channel #1 for the channel strips that belongs to drum kit #1, channel #2 for drum kit #2, and so on...

is it right?

thanks!

cuse
Developer

Post by cuse » Sat Sep 24, 2011 12:50 am

Not needed. I implemented FX send per note exactly for this purpose. It's a standard Roland GS sysex, which you probably figure out by yourself. I don't have it in my head right now.

nicop
User

Post by nicop » Sat Sep 24, 2011 8:46 pm

cuse wrote:... which you probably figure out by yourself...
Ehm... not yet :oops:
Maybe if you can give me a SFZ example of how to achieve this, I'll finally understand :lol:

cuse
Developer

Post by cuse » Sun Sep 25, 2011 4:00 pm

I implemented it in Subversion revision 2121, one year ago:
* implemented Roland GS NRPN 1ArrH which allows to set volume per note
* implemented Roland GS NRPN 1CrrH which allows to set pan per note
* implemented Roland GS NRPN 1DrrH which allows to set reverb send per
note (in this implementation of the sampler its simply hard routed to
the 1st effect send of the sampler channel, no matter what the actual
effect type is)
* implemented Roland GS NRPN 1ErrH which allows to set chorus send per
note (in this implementation of the sampler its simply hard routed to
the 2nd effect send of the sampler channel, no matter what the actual
effect type is)
* bumped version to 1.0.0cvs
Since this code is shared among all sampler engines, it should work for the SFZ engine as well.

Is it clear now?

nicop
User

Post by nicop » Mon Sep 26, 2011 11:51 pm

Ok, now I understood that I have to send to LS a sysex message, thanks for the explanation :-)
Unfortunatly I never used to send these kind of data, I googled a little and I think that an example of a sysex message that set to 127 the note 38 would be something like this:

240 (begin)
29 (1Dh)
38 (note number)
0 (reverb send value)
247 (end)

If this sysex works, I expect to mute the volume of the note number 38 out of the first effect send of LS.
I tried but nothing happens, and it's hard to know if I'm doing it right... any clue?

nicop
User

Post by nicop » Thu Sep 29, 2011 11:21 am

Nevermind, I keep making a sfz with each piece of my drumkits.
In this way I can also build a db with every piece of the drumkits, allow me to easly combine them into new sets. :-)