"Assigning instrument" crash?

You're new to the LinuxSampler world? You don't know where to start and nothing works? Here's the place to ask for help.
Corniger

"Assigning instrument" crash?

Post by Corniger » Thu Mar 10, 2011 1:11 pm

Hey guys! First post.
So first of all: you'll get a well deserved donation soon :) LS really seems to rock.
I'm using the 64bit plugin with Reaper x64 and tried it out for the first time yesterday. Everything worked super smooth!
Today I tried another project. Loading an instrument just led to the "Assigning instrument" window pop up and remain stuck until I cancel. After cancelling I can't do anything anymore. I select an instrument to load, but it won't load anything.
A few times, after I figured out how to get the audio to work in standalone, it loaded up "basic instruments" and one key on the keyboard was lit, but it didn't do anything. Is there any setting I accidentally got right yesterday? Is there some basic documentation? I have read the thread and a long time ago the Windows guide that I found in a similar thread here already. I just don't know what to do anymore! I'll reboot for now :)

Corniger

Re: "Assigning instrument" crash?

Post by Corniger » Thu Mar 10, 2011 2:34 pm

I found out that "Basic Instruments" seems to happen due to a compatibility issue with the GIG files maybe?
I tried loading several instruments in the one project that worked and it loaded the drums just fine, then I created another instrument - "Basic Instruments" again with C-1 lit on the virtual keyboard and no sound coming out. What could be the problem?

Corniger

Post by Corniger » Thu Mar 10, 2011 3:10 pm

LOL! "Basic Instruments" was what I missed to pick from the instrument index... MY BAD!

But still I get that "Assigning Instrument" message and it won't stop.
Now I tried the standalone once more. Opened Backend, everything worked fine. Then back into Reaper. I left the backend open and now it works!?! Do we always need the backend open (I don't mind)? I thought, because it's "Standalone Backend" it's for the standalone only!

Alex

Post by Alex » Sat Mar 12, 2011 8:46 am

Corniger, yes, it's worthwhile leaving the backend running.

LS is a server, and obeys commands sent to it by clients.

Alex.

p.s. I'm all native linux here, so i'm not sure of the peculiarities of win, and what else you might need to do.

Corniger

Post by Corniger » Fri Mar 25, 2011 7:37 am

OK, the backend is not at all the problem - just when people put a description into the soundbank AS a sound bank actually not containing an instrument, just a slot! It gets very sensitive about such mis-selections. The only remedy is restarting the software, but hey, I now have basic understanding of Linuxsampler and I LOVE it! This is definitely worth donations. I was scared first, but getting it up and running is easy, and I'll only start reaching into it further WITH PLEASURE.
With people like you, cracked software will be a thing of the past. Actually: cracked and SUCKY software! THANK YOU!

Corniger

Post by Corniger » Fri Mar 25, 2011 7:46 am

A lousy 10€, more when I get money on my account again :) 10€ are an insult!