Setting up General MIDI

You're new to the LinuxSampler world? You don't know where to start and nothing works? Here's the place to ask for help.
Hasenohr

Setting up General MIDI

Post by Hasenohr » Fri Feb 25, 2011 10:11 am

Hello,
I am trying to set-up Linux Sampler as a general MIDI engine to be used as a VST in Reaper.
I may be a bit on the wrong track hoping that someone has run into the same problems and could help!
Here is what I did:
* Starting from a new Reaper project I chose Linux Sampler VST on a new track accepting the proposed routing. This leaves me with 17 tracks, the one created for the VST and 16 new tracks generated by Reaper VST to reflect the routing of 16 channels.
* In the JSampler window which automatically opens I create a new Midi Map and I call it GM.
* I Open the instrument database. It contains 128 Midi instruments named after the GM definition. I am using the gig file CGM4LS-Bank1 sample set.
* I select all instruments and chose "Add to MIDI map" from the context menu, confirming that I want to add all selected instruments. "GM" is of course the only choice I have for a MIDI map to add.
* I confirm the assignment 128 times where each time the program number is increased reflecting the index number of the instrument.
* Now I expand the channel options in JSampler and assign "ALL" channels (first selection in the list box) to the newly created GM map. GM is the last of three choices: NONE, Default and GM.
* My understanding about this is that Linux sampler would now play all midi channels (1 - 16) according to the GM map i.e. depending on what instrument is given as patch.
I am aware that I did not care about channel 10 yet which usually contains percussion instruments.
* Now I add a MIDI item in Reaper on the track containing the Linux Sampler VSTI. I tested with a piano-only track and after A MINUTE in which Linux Sampler is reporting "loading instrument" I can really play back the tune. However, if I delete this MIDI item and load another song which uses different patches (programs) on one channel I hear nothing.

My questions now:
* Does Linux Sampler support program changes on a channel?
* If I split the song to have each instrument on a separate channel and track, do I really need to load the plug-in on each track with 16 additional tracks created each time? Let'Äs say I have 12 instruments on 12 tracks, would I need 12 + 12 x 16 tracks in the end?
Has anyone set-up a GM template in Reaper using Linux Sampler that he would share?

Thanks in advance, Roland

Alex

Re: Setting up General MIDI

Post by Alex » Wed Mar 02, 2011 6:47 am

Roland, LS does support bank and program changes in a channel.

Given the structure of Reaper, and the fact it's been some time since i used it (all native linux here now), it's correct that for each midi track/plugin you create, you get 16 "child" tracks.

Alex.