instrument database support error message

You're new to the LinuxSampler world? You don't know where to start and nothing works? Here's the place to ask for help.
anechoic

instrument database support error message

Post by anechoic » Sat Jan 08, 2011 12:53 am

I built both the LinuxSampler and the Jsampler front end
both had little problems during the builds

the JSampler front end displays the following error message when I try and access the instrument database

Menu/Window/Instruments Database

"LinuxSampler was not build with instruments database support"

how do I build LS with instrument database support?

I couldn't find anything in the README or INSTALL docs

===========================================================
ALSO,

when running linuxsampler in the terminal I get the usual plus this:

LinuxSampler 1.0.0
Copyright (C) 2003,2004 by Benno Senoner and Christian Schoenebeck
Copyright (C) 2005-2009 Christian Schoenebeck
Detected features: MMX SSE SSE2
Automatic Stacktrace: Off
Creating Sampler...OK
Registered sampler engines: 'GIG'
Registered MIDI input drivers: ALSA,JACK
Registered audio output drivers: ALSA,JACK
Loading instrument editor plugins...OK
Registered instrument editors:
Starting LSCP network server (0.0.0.0:8888)...Thread: WARNING, can't mlockall() memory!
LSCPServer: Could not bind server socket, retrying for 180 seconds...

=======

how do I fix this?

any help is appreciated
ciao!
kim

Alex

Re: instrument database support error message

Post by Alex » Sun Jan 16, 2011 11:05 am

Kim, how are you building LS?

From source?

For your second message, it usually means you have an instance of LS already running, or the previous instance didn't shut down properly.
Ensure you have no LS instance running at all before you start again.

If you're on Linux, a "killall linuxsampler" command will do this.

Alex.

anechoic

Post by anechoic » Fri Jan 21, 2011 11:55 pm

yes I built from src on Ubuntu 10.10
just wondering what the database adds in terms of functionality
and if it is something I need...?

------------------------------------

also, I have some questions about gigedit:
q1: how can I tell what numerical value the dimension splits are set to?
- for example I have one region C3-C3 that contains 3 dimensions; each one plays a new sample based on velocity
how can I set sample #1 to play at velocity 0 - 80; the second sample to play at velocity 81-100; and the third to play at velocity 101-127?

q2: can I create cross-fades for each dimension so each sample cross fades into the next when more velocity is applied?

q3: in the Quickstart it says:

Dimension

Kicking the bass drum is not really a complicated use case. Imagine a more sophisticated piano sample. You can play it hard or soft, higher or lower notes and even press various pedals. That's the dimension's task. You take various samples (soft, hard, this pedal, that pedal) and get, let's say 4 different sample types of a 2-octave range.

First you create a region ranging from C2 to C4. But you get only one sample into this region. A dimension adds additional dimensions to this. A region with another dimension splitting into 2 bits gives you 4 more samples (2^2). Now how will the right sample be selected? First of all there's the region information, you already pressed a key. The sampler just asks the dimension, which controller it belongs to, checks this controller's setting and chooses the sample from the according dimension.

I don't understand the phrase: 'A region with another dimension splitting into 2 bits gives you 4 more samples (2^2).'

can you explain this a little more?

thanks in advance!
ciao! :)
kim

Andreas
Developer

Post by Andreas » Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:41 pm

anechoic wrote:q1: how can I tell what numerical value the dimension splits are set to?
Gigedit doesn't show the numerical value, but you can drag the borders of the dimension zones with the mouse left and right.
q2: can I create cross-fades for each dimension so each sample cross fades into the next when more velocity is applied?
Yes. You create a "Layer" dimension, set "Attenuation controller" to velocity and then use Crossfade-in/out start/end to define where the different layers cross fade.
q3: in the Quickstart it says:

Dimension

Kicking the bass drum is not really a complicated use case. Imagine a more sophisticated piano sample. You can play it hard or soft, higher or lower notes and even press various pedals. That's the dimension's task. You take various samples (soft, hard, this pedal, that pedal) and get, let's say 4 different sample types of a 2-octave range.

First you create a region ranging from C2 to C4. But you get only one sample into this region. A dimension adds additional dimensions to this. A region with another dimension splitting into 2 bits gives you 4 more samples (2^2). Now how will the right sample be selected? First of all there's the region information, you already pressed a key. The sampler just asks the dimension, which controller it belongs to, checks this controller's setting and chooses the sample from the according dimension.

I don't understand the phrase: 'A region with another dimension splitting into 2 bits gives you 4 more samples (2^2).'

can you explain this a little more?
If you use one dimension, say velocity, with two zones, you will of course have two samples, one for each zone. If you add another dimension, say sustain pedal, also with two zones, you will end up with four different samples: 1) low velocity, no pedal. 2) high velocity, no pedal. 3) low velocity, pedal. 4) high velocity, pedal. That is, 2 * 2 = 4.