Gigedit: filter velocity response problem

You're new to the LinuxSampler world? You don't know where to start and nothing works? Here's the place to ask for help.
Quirq

Gigedit: filter velocity response problem

Post by Quirq » Tue Dec 07, 2010 7:47 pm

Hello again

I have another question :o ;)

In the gig file I'm making, I don't want the samples to be velocity sensitive in any way (it would be totally unnatural for the instrument). I've managed through trial and error to get them playing back at constant volume. I've put a low pass filter on the samples, controlled by the modwheel (inverted, so full on has the filter fully closed). However, at very low velocities the notes are also velocity sensitive, with the filter barely opening, if at all. I can't figure out how to stop note velocity affecting the filter cutoff -- what am I doing wrong?

Many thanks

Q

Quirq

Re: Gigedit: filter velocity response problem

Post by Quirq » Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:32 pm

So there's no-one able to answer this simple question? I had a few more questions about using Gigedit, in particular about keyswitching, because the documentation is a long way from being clear.

I guess I'll give up on developing these gig files I'm working on then.

Quirq

Re: Gigedit: filter velocity response problem

Post by Quirq » Thu Dec 16, 2010 2:56 pm

Oh well, talking to myself again -- a sure sign of insanity :lol:

Now I've managed to get live editing working, it's been much easier experimenting with the velocity curves and velocity layers.

I think I've finally managed to achieve what I wanted, a velocity-insensitive low pass filter that is controlled by the modwheel. I'm using the linear velocity curve and "velocity dynamic range" of 3 or 4 seems to do the trick.

To me, this is highly counterintuitive -- I would have expected a dynamic range of 0 to be not velocity sensitive and higher numbers (greater dynamic range) to be more sensitive to velocity levels (and hence open the filter differently). Oh well, at least I figured it out.