Separately editing multiple instances of the same instrument

You're new to the LinuxSampler world? You don't know where to start and nothing works? Here's the place to ask for help.
thetinman

Separately editing multiple instances of the same instrument

Post by thetinman » Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:10 am

I'm running multiple instances of the same instrument from Qsampler. I try to edit each instance separately using Gigedit. When I do this, any change made in Gigedit makes changes to both instances of the instrument. Is there a way around this so that each instance of the same instrument is treated separately?

Alex

Re: Separately editing multiple instances of the same instrument

Post by Alex » Fri Oct 22, 2010 10:42 am

If your gig files are accessible as a folder, then you can copy the folder and paste in your sample directory. Rename the folders to reflect the change.
i.e.

bassoon

becomes

bassoon1
bassoon2

Then edit each folder gig set independently.

I've done this for an orchestra's worth, not only for the intent you want, but for playback as well, with big score work. My single set of solo french horn gig files were copied and pasted to 4 folders, now horns 1-4. When i build an orchestral template, i'm careful to set out the midi map as separate horns (1-4) and set the instrument path accordingly.

To state the obvious, in case others are reading this who may be starting out with linuxsampler, and are not quite sure how to organise their sample libs, the following may help.

1.) If using orchestral instruments, then copy pasting gig files as above will help, when you want to apply separate control data or effects to each instrument instance.

2.) Check your sample lib disk (s) has enough room for the extra copies.

3.) If you have 2 disks, then have a careful think about what sort of music you're writing, and split the gig files as evenly as possible across the disks. In LS create as many devices as you have disks (in this case 2), then build your templates accordingly. For my strings, I have on disk1 1stviolins and cellos, and on disk2 2ndviolins, violas, and basses. Why? Better use of disk bandwidth. If you're playing back a big score, with lots of different articulation switching (which means you have gigs loaded for each artic) then with a single disk you run the risk of faulty playback as a result of bandwidth limited audio streaming from the disk. (In other words you're trying to playback 60 audio streams when your disk can only handle a maximum of 30.)
With 2 disks, and a bit of thought about gig allocation across disks, you can, potentially, avoid this challenge, and have full playback without issues. (Particularly true for midi driven scores from a sequencer, when you've got everything going at once.)

4.) Don't forget midi data streaming will chew a little bandwidth as well. Again, if you're using 2 disks, then create 2 midi devices, that match your disk(s) gig layout to maximise the chance of all your midi data being sent/received as it should.

5.) With LS's streaming structure, and the pre-sample portion in ram, you should be aware of just how much you can have running at once. If you copy/paste your instrument gig files, i.e. horns 1-4, then each instance will allocate a pre-sample portion. So there's a compromise to be made, through experimentation, between creating extra gig files (copy/paste) and how much ram you have.

6.) Plan ahead. Use a notebook, and write out exactly what you intend to do first. You'll save yourself a stack of time (i speak from experience) when building up your sample sets, laying out your gigs per disk, building your midi instrument maps, deciding how many channels and ports you'll need, and how many LS audio and midi devices you'll need.

Hope this helps.

Alex.