Problem with Qsampler (beginner)

You're new to the LinuxSampler world? You don't know where to start and nothing works? Here's the place to ask for help.
Evilor

Problem with Qsampler (beginner)

Post by Evilor » Tue Jul 06, 2010 11:58 pm

Hello everyone! I have installed Qsampler with Synaptic and i get the following error when i start it:

00:53:02.587 Could not start server. Sorry.
lscp_client_create: cmd: connect: connection refused

Help, please!

cuse
Developer

Re: Problem with Qsampler (beginner)

Post by cuse » Thu Jul 08, 2010 7:55 am

Sounds like you only installed QSampler, but not LinuxSampler.

hazysonic

Post by hazysonic » Tue Aug 17, 2010 7:38 am

cuse wrote:Sounds like you only installed QSampler, but not LinuxSampler.
I have the same problem. I assumed QSampler would be dependent on LinuxSampler and didn't know i needed to install it separately. When I did install LinuxSampler, it did not resolve the problem.

I also see quite a bit of advice to compile from source. This sounds like a lot of hassle for my needs which shouldn't be overly taxing on the processor. Is the install really this difficult or could there be another problem i'm not aware of?

Thanks for any advice...

cuse
Developer

Post by cuse » Fri Aug 27, 2010 1:31 pm

Yeah thats probably a bit confusing since most users are used to have sampler backend and sampler GUI to be bundled in one application. However the design goal of LinuxSampler was to have that splitted, to allow using a bunch of computers (without any graphical desktop or graphics card) as low-cost sampler rendering farms, controlled by some studio workstation computer. And on the other hand we wanted the sampler to be used with different kind of GUI frontend flavors.

Maybe we should just add a notice to the welcome console messages of LinuxSampler like "This is just the sampler backend, you need a graphical frontend application like qsampler or JSampler / Fantasia to control the sampler!". I guess that would be sufficient to kill future confusions, hu?