Totally lost

You're new to the LinuxSampler world? You don't know where to start and nothing works? Here's the place to ask for help.
cptexas

Totally lost

Post by cptexas » Thu Apr 01, 2010 5:00 am

Hello.
Sorry for the potentially really simple questions, but Linuxsampler was recommended to me as an alternative to Gigastudio3 that will actually run in Win7--and I'm very confused! I've downloaded the Widows package and have run the .exe file. It asked me if I wanted to also install in 32-bit and I said no, although on second thought I probably should have said yes because Sonar 4, my sequencer/DAW, is 32-bit. Anyway, here are my questions:

How do I get Linuxsampler to play nicely with Sonar 4? I assumed I'd be able to get this as a VST and then run Cakewalk VST converter to make it a DXi that would then work with Sonar. Where did the VST go? Did it come in the download? Is it separate? I can't find it.

Upon a test-launch of the Linuxsampler back end and Fantasia, I got an error message telling me that it couldn't find my audio card. How do I fix this? Do I even need to fix this being that I plan on using this as a VST converted to DXi in Sonar? I'm running this on a laptop with a sound card. Sonar and my Aria player both know this.

I guess that's all for now. Thanks for the help.
-Chris

cptexas

Re: Totally lost

Post by cptexas » Thu Apr 01, 2010 7:45 pm

Okay, so I reinstalled Sonar and the Cakewalk VST adapter worked right. I can now see Linuxsampler in Sonar!

Now the problem is that when I set up an audio track in Sonar I can set either the input of the track to Linuxsampler primary out OR the output to my soundcard output. I can't have both an input from Linuxsampler and an output to my soundcard or Sonar crashes. This only happens with Linuxsampler now, everything's fine with my other soft synths, both DXi and VST with a DXi skin.

Any ideas?

Alex

Re: Totally lost

Post by Alex » Fri Apr 02, 2010 7:56 pm

Cptexas,
Although i never counted Sonar among the commercial apps i owned, i do remember Sonar could be problematic with some plugins. (which is also true for other plugins in other apps.)

I'm a long time out of windows now (yeehah), but i'd suggest you gather up as much info as possible, and submit a bug report for this. It may well be deeper than a simple bug in LS or Sonar, and the dev team might need to take a closer look at how Sonar co-operates (or not) with LS VST.

Alex.