LS LV2 plugin doesn't work in Ardour3

You're new to the LinuxSampler world? You don't know where to start and nothing works? Here's the place to ask for help.
davephillips
User

LS LV2 plugin doesn't work in Ardour3

Post by davephillips » Sun Feb 07, 2010 1:29 pm

I'm testing Ardour3 and would like to resolve a problem with audio output from the LS LV2 plugin. The plugin seems to work fine: I load the LS plugin in A3, then I open the Fantasia GUI. The audio and MIDI devices indicate that they are active and in plugin status. When I start A3 with a MIDI file the sequencer plays fine, I can watch the keys move on the keyboard in LS, but there's no sound. I also tried the same procedure with QSampler, with the same result.

Btw, Rui Nuno Capela already advised that checking for LS (during the A3 session) with 'ps ax |grep linuxsampler' would not yield any useful information.

Anyway, it seems that LS is not connecting to JACK. If I understand correctly, LS does not autoconnect by default. Is there a way to do so ?

Or do you think the problem is on Ardour's side ?

I'm happy to test. I'm using the latest LS components from the repo and can recompile easily. Please advise. :)

Best,

dp

Andreas
Developer

Re: LS LV2 plugin doesn't work in Ardour3

Post by Andreas » Sun Feb 07, 2010 2:07 pm

davephillips wrote:Btw, Rui Nuno Capela already advised that checking for LS (during the A3 session) with 'ps ax |grep linuxsampler' would not yield any useful information.
That's right. The LV2 plugin runs in the process of the host.
Anyway, it seems that LS is not connecting to JACK.
When running as a plugin, LS doesn't and shouldn't talk to Jack. It just returns the audio according to the LV2 specification. It's up to the host to route the output of the plugin to for example Jack.

How do you get the plugin to load in Ardour? I don't seem to be able to do that. It doesn't show up in the plugin manager.

davephillips
User

Post by davephillips » Sun Feb 07, 2010 2:12 pm

Andreas wrote:When running as a plugin, LS doesn't and shouldn't talk to Jack. It just returns the audio according to the LV2 specification. It's up to the host to route the output of the plugin to for example Jack.
I'm learning more. :)
How do you get the plugin to load in Ardour? I don't seem to be able to do that. It doesn't show up in the plugin manager.
Are you testing Ardour3 ? Ardour2 does not support instrument plugins.

Best,

dp

Andreas
Developer

Post by Andreas » Sun Feb 07, 2010 2:35 pm

Are you testing Ardour3 ? Ardour2 does not support instrument plugins.
Yes, I'm using Ardour 3.

I probably built it without LV2 support, I'll try again...

Andreas
Developer

Post by Andreas » Sun Feb 07, 2010 4:32 pm

OK, now I was able to load LS LV2 in Ardour. It doesn't work for me either.

If I play the keys on Fantasia, I see the audio on the meters on the MIDI track in Ardour, so audio is clearly getting from LS to Ardour. But I don't hear the audio, and I don't know how to route it anywhere either, as the MIDI track only seems to allow me to route the MIDI output, not the audio.

My guess is that support for instrument plugins isn't quite finished in Ardour.

davephillips
User

Post by davephillips » Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:10 pm

Hi Andreas,

Paul Davis confirmed for me that LV2 instrument support is indeed incomplete in Ardour3 at this time. :(

Btw, it didn't work for me in Zynjacku either. Have you tested it there ?

Best,

dp

Andreas
Developer

Post by Andreas » Sat Feb 13, 2010 7:53 am

davephillips wrote:Btw, it didn't work for me in Zynjacku either. Have you tested it there ?
Yes, it works fine for me. What kind of problem do you get?