Gigedit/round robin? [Bugs found]

You're new to the LinuxSampler world? You don't know where to start and nothing works? Here's the place to ask for help.
count_fuzzball
User

Gigedit/round robin? [Bugs found]

Post by count_fuzzball » Thu Dec 24, 2009 4:42 pm

Hey all,

I'm having a problem with Keyboard Round Robin, namely that the samples don't seem to be switching at all!

http://moose.linux-coders.org/RRF.mp3

This patch I'm messing around with has about 6 velocity layers for about 5 velocities each, but yet I can only hear one sample for each velocity... What's going on?

Thanks.
Last edited by count_fuzzball on Sat Dec 26, 2009 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cuse
Developer

Re: Gigedit/round robin?

Post by cuse » Fri Dec 25, 2009 5:41 pm

Have you checked it with gigedit?

count_fuzzball
User

Re: Gigedit/round robin?

Post by count_fuzzball » Fri Dec 25, 2009 8:37 pm

Yeah, I actually decided to have a go at programming them in gigedit, for the experience and I set the dimension to roundrobinKeyboard. But like I said, I can only hear one sample being played for each velocity layer, not different samples.

count_fuzzball
User

Bugs found.

Post by count_fuzzball » Sat Dec 26, 2009 5:56 pm

I've tried fiddling with the Random Generator dimension and using two-three different samples for 1 ff velocity layer, but I couldn't hear a difference..

One thing to note about round robin though, and I'm pretty sure it's a bug:

I created one velocity layer and put 3 different velocity layers in a round robin (not round robin keyboard) dimension and I then played notes at a velocity of 127 and I noticed that while it does cycle through the different samples more noticably (I can distinguish between the ff, mf and p samples) the first sample is played twice before it cycles:

I.E
1 1 2 3
instead of
1 2 3

I tried it out with round robin keyboard and only the first sample (p) is played, I can't get it to cycle through the other 2 samples.
I.E
1 1 1 1 (all p samples)

Finally I tried with Random Generator and this seems to indeed randomly play the samples but it has a large amount of the same samples being played one after another, better than nothing I suppose!
EDIT: Also another bug with the Random Generator is the fact that it sometimes doesn't play any notes, just silence when a key is hit.

I could probably try combining the random generator with round robin and see what happens.

Thanks.

Andreas
Developer

Re: Gigedit/round robin? [Bugs found]

Post by Andreas » Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:38 am

count_fuzzball wrote:I'm having a problem with Keyboard Round Robin, namely that the samples don't seem to be switching at all!
Yes, the keyboard round robin dimension wasn't implemented at all in linuxsampler (only in libgig and gigedit).
1 1 2 3
instead of
1 2 3
Yes, there was a bug for the round robin and random dimensions. They only worked ok if the number of zones was a power of two.

I have implemented the round robin keyboard dimension now and fixed the round robin and random bug. I also changed the behaviour slightly of round robin to behave more similar to gigastudio: it now has a counter for each region instead of each key.

Thanks for the report!

mooneh

Post by mooneh » Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:25 am

hi! can you include this update in the windows version?

Andreas
Developer

Post by Andreas » Tue Jan 26, 2010 7:12 am

mooneh wrote:hi! can you include this update in the windows version?
The fix will of course be included in the next windows build, but I don't know when this will be released. You can always build it yourself. If you have linux it's pretty easy to cross compile from there, otherwise you could follow http://linuxsampler.org/msys.html.