Difficulty getting LinuxSampler to work as a VST in Sonar 5

You're new to the LinuxSampler world? You don't know where to start and nothing works? Here's the place to ask for help.
TimothyAllenMusic

Difficulty getting LinuxSampler to work as a VST in Sonar 5

Post by TimothyAllenMusic » Tue Dec 15, 2009 8:40 pm

Hi,

Just downloaded and installed latest automated install of LinuxSampler for Windows 32 bit, to replace my now-defunct GigaStudio 3. Works like a charm in standalone mode - liking the UI a lot, very intuitive, and getting excellent audio results.

I'm struggling to get it to work as a VST in Sonar 5, though. The dll was automatically installed to the correct directory, and Sonar picks it up as a valid VST. When I try to add it as a software synth, if I ask Sonar to instantiate the UI, Sonar crashes. If I don't ask for "synth property pages" to be loaded, it is fine - until I create an audio track and select LinuxSampler as the audio input for that track. I get another Sonar crash.

I know I could look at using MIDI mapping software and audio routing tools to solve the problem, but it seems far more convenient to run LinuxSampler as a VST within Sonar - if I can get it to work. Any suggestions? Do I need to provide more information, and if so, what do you need to know? (Although I have a reasonable level of PC skills, I'm far from an expert - and I have no knowledge of Linux or compiling etc. I'm primarily a musician!).

Any help greatly appreciated.

cuse
Developer

Re: Difficulty getting LinuxSampler to work as a VST in Sonar 5

Post by cuse » Wed Dec 23, 2009 1:45 pm

The VST version doesn't work perfectly on every VST host application yet, and Sonar is one of the applications where users reported already problems. The problem is that the exact behavior of VST host applications differs quite a lot. If I remember correctly there were already people posting some kind of usage workaround to avoid the crash, not sure, maybe it was another VST host application. Try to search a bit on this forum!