Problems with Linuxsampler in Win XP

You're new to the LinuxSampler world? You don't know where to start and nothing works? Here's the place to ask for help.
West

Problems with Linuxsampler in Win XP

Post by West » Mon Nov 02, 2009 1:08 pm

Hey all. I was going to set up Linuxsampler on a secondary Win XP (SP3) machine here, but I've run into problems. When I try to run the backend it immediately crashes with an error message that says "The application failed to initialize properly (0xc000001d)", plus that the vst plugin refuses to show up in REAPER even though it's in the right dir.

Linuxsampler works just fine on my main computer (also Win XP SP3) which makes me wonder if I'm missing some dependancy or other. Java is installed though. Or might it be that this system is too old to run it? It's an Athlon XP 3000+ with 1GB RAM, if it's any help.

TIA

cuse
Developer

Re: Problems with Linuxsampler in Win XP

Post by cuse » Tue Nov 03, 2009 7:54 am

When you install LinuxSampler, can you check which binary it actually installs? The LinuxSampler installer for windows is bundled with 3 different binaries: 64 bit version, 32 bit version with SEE support, 32 bit version with no SEE. You can klick on the "Details" button of the installer to see the debugging output of the installer, which reveals that.

West

Post by West » Tue Nov 03, 2009 10:16 am

I'll have to redownload the installer to check. But linuxsampler.exe resides in a subfolder called "32" which I assume means it's the 32 bit version. Also, what's SEE? You mean SSE?

West

Post by West » Tue Nov 03, 2009 9:18 pm

Hm, OK, so I found out this is a known issue (I know, I know, I should have RTFM before I posted). So, by reinstalling *without* gigedit and using the replacement binaries, I managed to get the backend running. I do however get two other error messages when loading Fantasia. As can be seen the ASIO driver can't be loaded for some reason.

Could someone kindly inform me if I should be able to get LS running on this old system or am I wasting my time here?

West

Post by West » Wed Nov 04, 2009 11:45 pm

Looks like I'm wasting my time here at any rate.

cuse
Developer

Post by cuse » Fri Nov 06, 2009 5:29 pm

If you are using the latest installer of LinuxSampler, then it should work actually even on old machines. The issue you mentioned was only with the old release version. And yes, I meant "SSE", which is a processor instruction set, sorry for that. Are you sure you use an Athlon XP there? Because that processor should definitely have SSE instructions?

West

Post by West » Fri Nov 06, 2009 6:40 pm

cuse wrote:If you are using the latest installer of LinuxSampler, then it should work actually even on old machines. The issue you mentioned was only with the old release version. And yes, I meant "SSE", which is a processor instruction set, sorry for that. Are you sure you use an Athlon XP there? Because that processor should definitely have SSE instructions?
cuse, sorry for sounding grumpy. It's just that my main computer is out of commission ATM and I'm growing increasingly frustrated with getting things running well on this old machine.

As for 'old release version', which exactly is the newest release of LS? I'm running the 20090803 version here, which appears to be the newest one available for windows (despite the news page stating that a new release came out on October 16). And yes the 0803 version gives me the "failed to initialize" error. Plus the ASIO error with the (old) replacement files, so I'm really no closer to getting it working here.

Yes, I'm absolutely sure I have an Athlon XP. :) 3000+ Barton core, 400MHz FSB.

As for the ASIO error, I have a SB Audigy running the kX drivers, if it's any help.

grishata
Developer

Post by grishata » Sun Nov 08, 2009 10:14 am

Christian,
Maybe we should provide the new replacement binaries for download so West could test if the installer is doing its job.

West

Post by West » Fri Nov 13, 2009 9:31 am

Guys, I could still really use some help with this issue. Am I to take it no one knows what's causing it?

West

Post by West » Fri Nov 13, 2009 10:18 am

Running Dependency Walker, I get this message:

"Warning: At least one module has an unresolved import due to a missing export function in a delay-load dependent module."

The highlighted file is mpr.dll. Might this have something to do with the problem?

Edit: Turns out I get that message for every single executable file I check with DW. So I dunno.