usage question: sampling for transcription

You're new to the LinuxSampler world? You don't know where to start and nothing works? Here's the place to ask for help.
PaulRevere

usage question: sampling for transcription

Post by PaulRevere » Thu Oct 29, 2009 6:12 pm

I am a musician and I occasionally like to transcribe (write out) recorded drum solos. I'm looking for a software sampler I can use to record difficult passages and play them back at a slower speed. It would be good if I could slow them down without them sounding too distorted, which is the problem I have with my old Ibanez hardware phrase sampler. Can anyone tell me if this software sampler will let me do that? Thanks for your help.

luisgarrido

Re: usage question: sampling for transcription

Post by luisgarrido » Thu Oct 29, 2009 8:13 pm

There are a couple of programs that can do that, although their scope is a bit broader: ardour and sonicvisualiser. If you are familiar with source code compilation you can try my very own soundtoucher, which aims to be a very simple utility for the specific purpose you describe:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/soundtoucher/

Theoretically you *could* use LinuxSampler for this, but the process would be too convoluted.

Of all the above I recommend you give a try to sonicvisualiser first, it is very visual and uncluttered.

PaulRevere

Re: usage question: sampling for transcription

Post by PaulRevere » Fri Oct 30, 2009 6:25 am

Cool. Thanks for the reply. I think I'll give sonicvisualiser a try. Your program sounds really cool, though. Putting 'learn about source code compilation" on my to-do list. Thanks again.