LinuxSampler and Sonar 6

You're new to the LinuxSampler world? You don't know where to start and nothing works? Here's the place to ask for help.
jfcomposer

Re: LinuxSampler and Sonar 6

Post by jfcomposer » Wed Sep 16, 2009 4:14 pm

'Instrument layering' I don't know what that is (I'm not a Gigastudio user) so can't help there.
Instrument layering in Gigastudio is the ability to layer multiple instruments (all with independent volume/pan/etc controls) to a single MIDI channel. So if I have two different Violin I Legato instruments from two different libraries, for example, I can mix them together on the same channel to make them sound fuller or bring out the strengths/minimize the weaknesses of each. Works really well with staccato samples, as I have one library with alternating up/down strokes and another with straight samples. Layering the straight samples helps to tone down the (somewhat obvious) up/down stroke sounds, while still mostly avoiding the machine-gun effect the straight samples would produce on their own.

I'll give the reverb you suggested a try as well, once I get the other stuff running. Thanks!

ggoodesa
Advanced User

Re: LinuxSampler and Sonar 6

Post by ggoodesa » Thu Sep 17, 2009 11:16 am

So, several instruments that use the same MIDI channel = Instrument Layering? You can manually configure that in LinuxSampler Fantasia standalone very easily... and I assume one could also do it in the VST version. I'll be able to test VST with Sonar 6 this weekend and will let you know what I find.
GrahamG