No sound in Windows

You're new to the LinuxSampler world? You don't know where to start and nothing works? Here's the place to ask for help.
Sam Bald

No sound in Windows

Post by Sam Bald » Sat Sep 05, 2009 1:53 am

I'm trying to load a .gig instrument into JSampler, but I can't get any sound. The instrument is loaded, the MIDI and Audio devices are created, and it shows that I'm getting MIDI input when I play my keyboard or click on the keys on the bottom of the screen, but I don't hear anything, and the volume level (in dB) doesn't change. The backend, of course, is open.

I'm using Windows Vista, my MIDI device is M-AUDIO Uno, and my audio device is ASIO4ALL. Both devices have always worked in the past.
Here's a screenie.

Any ideas what could be wrong? I'm completely new to LinuxSampler.

typewriter
Advanced User

Re: No sound in Windows

Post by typewriter » Sat Sep 05, 2009 9:10 am

I had something like that in a virtual windows environment and it came down to the audio settings.

Open Asio4all and try the following settings:

Asio buffer: 1024

"check" hardware buffer
set buffer offset to 20ms
"check" always convert 44,1 to 48 khz
"check" alway open wdm driver in 16bit

If your hear somethin and it sounds okay you can try to reduce these settings step by step.

Sam Bald

Re: No sound in Windows

Post by Sam Bald » Tue Sep 08, 2009 12:15 am

Tried what you said and it worked! But then I found out that wasn't the problem at all, because when I put it back to what I had it at before, it worked just fine too. Turns out the problem wasn't with LinuxSampler (come to think of it, I was having sound problems with other programs that day too...a simple restart did the job). Whoops. Anyways, thanks!