SSD Drives Pre-sampler

You're new to the LinuxSampler world? You don't know where to start and nothing works? Here's the place to ask for help.
ccherrett
Advanced User

SSD Drives Pre-sampler

Post by ccherrett » Thu Sep 03, 2009 5:21 am

I just installed two SSD (Solid State Drives) for my samples. Their only job will be to load samples as fast as possible. I also have 8GB of RAM. I have 160GB of samples to use regularly. So my question is:

With the following setup:

8GB RAM
160GB Samples
2x 80GB SSDs

What is the best way to configure LinuxSampler. I compiled with pre-samples at 4000 but kept getting this error ans samples only played part of the time:

0x2afbfab87860Disk stream not available in time!

So I figure the pre-samples have to be higher. I was hoping I could run low pre-samples so I start up quickly and the rest could be streamed from the SSDs fast enough to give me next to real time.

So at this point I am looking for the best I can get out of LinuxSampler.

Thanks!
Christopher Cherrett
Founder of The Open Octave Project
http://www.openoctave.org

typewriter
Advanced User

Re: SSD Drives Pre-sampler

Post by typewriter » Thu Sep 03, 2009 8:38 am

I am very interested in your results. It would be nice to know what the important factor for performance is - the processor or the discs. I have 2 old athlon XP machines (2500 XPM) I would tune up with with SSD drives when it would make sense. I guess all these multicore stuff isn't very much relevant anyway. Just yesterday I had to learn that you have to deactivate cores in the preferences of Protools to get audio without any crackling sounds...

By the way openoctave seems to be down.

ccherrett
Advanced User

Post by ccherrett » Thu Sep 03, 2009 9:06 am

typewriter wrote:I am very interested in your results. It would be nice to know what the important factor for performance is - the processor or the discs. I have 2 old athlon XP machines (2500 XPM) I would tune up with with SSD drives when it would make sense. I guess all these multicore stuff isn't very much relevant anyway. Just yesterday I had to learn that you have to deactivate cores in the preferences of Protools to get audio without any crackling sounds...

By the way openoctave seems to be down.
Open Octave is resolving to new name servers. It should be up in about a day. We just moved the server and changed the name servers at the same time.

So far my tests show that with pre-samples = 16000 program changes load real time. My next test will be to run pre-samples at 8000.

When I have 143 tracks loaded in Open Octave Midi and press play, every track loads a pre-sample at once. It happens in about 5-10 seconds. It use to take many minutes. So things have changed a lot.

I will keep you updated.

Thanks!
Christopher Cherrett

ccherrett
Advanced User

Post by ccherrett » Tue Sep 08, 2009 5:58 am

I have 129 Tracks loaded in oomidi with pre-samples set to 8000. Linuxsampler loads the initial 129 pre-samples in about 25 seconds.

The first tracks are available instantly, the 25 seconds is what it takes for LS to have all 129 tracks available for playback.

I must say I am impressed :)

Thanks!

P.S. I have a lot of testing to do but at this point I will pass the machine off to my wife and she can do the real world tests.
Christopher Cherrett

typewriter
Advanced User

Post by typewriter » Tue Sep 08, 2009 4:22 pm

ccherrett wrote:Linuxsampler loads the initial 129 pre-samples in about 25 seconds. The first tracks are available instantly, the 25 seconds is what it takes for LS to have all 129 tracks available for playback.
Sweet! :)