Trouble getting to connect to backend in AVLinux

You're new to the LinuxSampler world? You don't know where to start and nothing works? Here's the place to ask for help.
JMac

Trouble getting to connect to backend in AVLinux

Post by JMac » Sun Aug 30, 2009 11:34 pm

Hi All,

I have tried several different ways of installing LS under AVLinux and continue to have problems.

I have tried to install the the .deb packages and I can open LS, start Qsampler but when I try to create the audio (either ALSA or JACK) it says it cannot create the instrument. Under Fantasia, Fantasia opens just fine but cannot connect to the backend.

I installed all of this under UbuntuStudio 9.04 without issue.

Is there a problem with AVLinux since it is based on a combo Squeeze/Sid variant of Debian?

James

cuse
Developer

Re: Trouble getting to connect to backend in AVLinux

Post by cuse » Mon Aug 31, 2009 9:00 am

I never used AVLinux, nor have I heard reports of users using that distribution. Can you post the exact error messages?

sbenno
Developer

Post by sbenno » Mon Aug 31, 2009 8:27 pm

haver you tried to use telnet to connect to the LinuxSampler backend to see if it responds correctly.

open a terminal
type the command:

telnet localhost 8888

then type:

GET SERVER INFO

and press enter. At this point the sampler should anwser with a few lines like version etc.

If this does not work (connection refused, or telnet hangs) then perhaps you have some firewall rule active which prevents Fantasia or QSampler to connect.
Just try and let us know.

JMac

Post by JMac » Tue Sep 01, 2009 3:51 am

Hi,

I will try it tomorrow and report back. I have it working just fine under 64Studio.

In the end, it is probably something I did - - we will see.

Thanks,

James

JMac

Post by JMac » Tue Sep 01, 2009 6:33 am

Hi,

I got it working as follows but don't know why:

I had been building everything with AVLinux's stock PAE low-latency kernel. It works great out of the box on most everything. I was also using my onboard video so as to avoid any additional issues. AVLinux uses ReMastersys for configuring drivers and such.

I had been able to get sound out of LS w/Fantasia using the default virtual keyboard and JACK would recognize my usb keyboard but I could not hook it up to LS (in JACK ALSA window LS would show but not the keyboard).

So on a whim I used the Remastersys utility to download and install the nvidia driver, installed my new NVidia videocard and installed the rt kernel provided by the author of AVLinux. When I rebooted into the rt kernel, everything works like a charm.

I do not understand it and maybe someone could suggest an answer? I am going to do nothing from this point because it appears to be working great. I want to thank the authors of LS and associated programs because it is really great to be able to use .gig files. Especially with the demise of GigaStudio.

Thanks,

James