qsampler error liblscp.so.6: No such file or directory

You're new to the LinuxSampler world? You don't know where to start and nothing works? Here's the place to ask for help.
camobrite

qsampler error liblscp.so.6: No such file or directory

Post by camobrite » Sat Aug 15, 2009 3:50 pm

Hi again! So I just reinstalled linuxsampler from source on debian, and I can't start qsampler. I'm getting this output:

bsmith@rayden:~$ qsampler&
[3] 26897
qsampler: error while loading shared libraries: liblscp.so.6: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Any advice? Also, what package do I need for alsa midi support? Thanks!

camobrite

Re: qsampler error liblscp.so.6: No such file or directory

Post by camobrite » Sat Aug 15, 2009 6:11 pm

Just to clarify, my order of install was: libgig, linuxsampler, gigedit, liblscp, qsampler. I don't see why qsampler wouldn't be able to find liblscp.

cuse
Developer

Post by cuse » Sun Aug 16, 2009 3:54 pm

How did you install them? As .deb packages or did you make "make install"? If you installed liblscp as debian package, then the command "dpkg -L liblscp" should show the following files:

Code: Select all

/.
/usr
/usr/lib
/usr/lib/liblscp.so.6.0.0
/usr/share
/usr/share/doc
/usr/share/doc/liblscp
/usr/share/doc/liblscp/changelog.gz
/usr/share/doc/liblscp/copyright
/usr/share/doc/liblscp/changelog.Debian.gz
/usr/lib/liblscp.so.6
If you installed liblscp directly instead with "make install", then most probably you installed liblscp under /usr/local and your system cannot find the .so file.

camobrite

Post by camobrite » Mon Aug 17, 2009 11:13 pm

Thanks for the reply! I installed linuxsampler using make install. There is a liblscp.so.6 in my /usr/local/lib folder, but not in my /usr/lib folder. There are many such files in /usr/local/lib related to linuxsampler. I could make links to them all in /usr/lib, but I'm afraid that might break things if I uninstall or update linuxsampler. Any advice?

cuse
Developer

Post by cuse » Tue Aug 18, 2009 7:20 am

When you compile and install the libs and apps manually with "./configure && make && make install" then by default they are going to be installed under /usr/local to avoid overwriting files of the same libs / apps already installed on your system. You can override the install destination with "./configure --prefix=/usr ... " by the way. However on Debian systems it's always recommended to build debian packages instead of installing things directly. You can find our Debian compilation howto here:

http://www.linuxsampler.org/debian.html

If you don't want to, or don't care about a clean solution, then you can also just edit your /etc/ld.so.conf file and add the path /usr/local/lib to it. Then your system will also search for libraries under /usr/local/lib. But if you insist to do so, make sure you really don't have conflicting versions of libgig, liblscp, liblinuxsampler etc. installed under /usr/lib, otherwise you will still get trouble. But I really discourage this approach, because you can easily end up in chaos.