LinuxsamplerVSTI crashes after opening a project in Sonar 8!

You're new to the LinuxSampler world? You don't know where to start and nothing works? Here's the place to ask for help.
sonay999

Re: LinuxsamplerVSTI crashes after opening a project in Sonar 8!

Post by sonay999 » Sun Aug 30, 2009 7:47 pm

OK. It must be the difference between the trial version and the full version.

I uninstalled the full version and installed the trial version and there is no crash at all.

After I reinstalled the full version, there is the bug again, it is an "unhandled exception" c000005.

I think Sonar 8 full version installed other (more) files and somehow it causes the problem with Linuxsampler.

I have no idea how to find the problem. :(

sbenno
Developer

Post by sbenno » Sun Aug 30, 2009 10:16 pm

Hi sonay999,
indeed strange that the demo version works while the full version doesn't.
Perhaps you could write to the Sonar developers (technical support forum, email etc) and asking them what could be the cause of the different behaviour.
You could send them the Linux to the latest LinuxSampler installer and ask them if they could try it and contribute feedback here.
Or alternatively we could ask them if they give us a Sonar license for development purposes.
Sonar is AFAIK a quite popular sequencer (especially in the US) so it would be nice if LinuxSampler VST worked well under Sonar.
That LinuxSampler + Sonar works well under Sonar is encouraging (any Windows 7 beta users with Sonar + LinuxSampler ? ), but since Windows XP is probably
the most used Windows OS for audio (AFAIK latencies under XP are better than under Vista) it would be nice havin LS working well with Sonar under XP too.

sonay999

Post by sonay999 » Mon Aug 31, 2009 8:13 am

Hi,

Sbenno wrote:
Or alternatively we could ask them if they give us a Sonar license for development purposes.
You should absolutely try that because Sonar is the most popular DAW under Windows in Europe too.

If Linuxsampler works in Sonar as a VSTi it will be a true revolution (because of the harddisk streaming capabilities).

I wrote an email to Cakewalk (I'm a registered customer so they should reply within two business days).

I sent them a download link too from the Linuxsampler site.

sonay999

Post by sonay999 » Mon Aug 31, 2009 8:19 am

Unfortunately I'm not sure anymore that Linuxsampler VSTi and Sonar 8 full version are working together under Vista because I installed only a demo/trial version of Sonar 8 which works with Linuxsampler VSTi under XP too.

sonay999

Post by sonay999 » Thu Sep 03, 2009 8:27 pm

After debugging it seems that the problem is with LinuxSampler32.dll. "I was told".

Maybe you should contact Cakewalk...

sonay999

Post by sonay999 » Sat Sep 05, 2009 7:49 pm

I installed my whole DAW system on a Windows Vista PC.

No luck.

The same bug persist under Vista too, but only if the ASIO driver is in use.

I think it is a bug connected with the ASIO drivers.

This can be the cause of the difference between the demo and full version of Sonar.

The demo version is not using the ASIO driver after installion, by default.

That is why you cannot replicate the bug.

You should use an ASIO driver inside Sonar.

Andreas
Developer

Post by Andreas » Sun Sep 06, 2009 7:37 am

sonay999 wrote:You should use an ASIO driver inside Sonar.
OK, I tried the same test, now using ASIO (I'm still using the Sonar demo and XP), but no, I still can't reproduce the crash.

sonay999

Post by sonay999 » Sun Sep 06, 2009 4:14 pm

I reproduced the crash with the demo version, on Windows XP, but it is not consistent, sometimes it works flawlessly.

Try this:

Start Sonar with WDM audio driver and create a new Linuxsampler synth track. Open a GIG file. Save the Sonar project.

Now change the WDM driver to ASIO. There is a crash while the driver change is being implemented (not every time, I admit).

Sonar will crash randomly after loading the saved Sonar project, which contains the Linuxsampler track, if it uses the changed ASIO driver.

Sometimes Sonar demo works without a crash (full version crashes every time while loading the saved Sonar project, if the Linuxsampler synth is active).

I tried EWX 24/96 and Audigy 2 ASIO drivers, both PCI cards can produce the crash.

:(

sonay999

Post by sonay999 » Sun Sep 27, 2009 4:52 pm

OK, one last post...

I think that the problem is with 32-bit and 64-bit operations or with the 48khz sample mode inside Sonar.

After switching to 44.1 khz and 24 bit, the problem disappeared...