New to linux sampler and a few questions

You're new to the LinuxSampler world? You don't know where to start and nothing works? Here's the place to ask for help.
dexterflex

New to linux sampler and a few questions

Post by dexterflex » Fri Aug 07, 2009 7:02 pm

Hi guys,

Yesterday I installed Linuxsampler and was very impressed how it handled my Giga3 files. So my question is. Why isn't their more buzz about this free product? And is their an advantage of using Gigastudio 3 still?

cuse
Developer

Re: New to linux sampler and a few questions

Post by cuse » Sat Aug 08, 2009 10:42 am

Probably because we don't advertise it. It's still a secret tool. Feel free to spread the gossip. ;-)

What LinuxSampler doesn't support yet regarding the GSt 3 format is: convolution and dynamic expression filter.

dexterflex

Post by dexterflex » Sat Aug 08, 2009 2:43 pm

Thanks for the reply,

So once those features are added we can say bye bye to Gigastudio? I can't wait to get rid of my P4 and build a quad core loaded with ram. Also does Linuxsampler use DFD like kontakt 3.5 or does everything get loaded into ram?

sbenno
Developer

Post by sbenno » Sat Aug 08, 2009 8:08 pm

LinuxSampler was designed from the ground up with efficient disk streaming in mind (Native Instruments calls it DFD (direct from disk).

Actually I made some tests on my Laptop with Intel Dual Core CPU using the same samples (a large 2GB piano GIG) on LinuxSampler and Kontakt and then played the same MIDI file ( a complex classical piano piece) with both samplers, rebooting the machine each time before testing in order to eliminate file caching advantages and Kontakt had quite some problems when polyphony goes over 200 voices especially during sustain pedal releases which resulted in dropouts and cut off notes. I find this a bit disappointing after all these years of Kontakt being the "market leader". Now that many third party sample developers went away from Kontakt and built their own (often buggy and crappy) sample enine and with the open SFZ sampling format (which LinuxSampler will support) gaining more support, it seems like Kontakt might lose some steam. I really hope SFZ will help to get rid of proprietary sampling formats over time. For now we support only GIG so we have to live with it for a while. Fortunately there is gigedit which lets you create your own GIG files and there are many converters around to convert common sampling formats into GIG.

The success of LinuxSampler depends too on the support from users which by using it will help to improve it by providing bugreports, feeedback, spreading the word, perhaps giving some code contributions, donations etc.

typewriter
Advanced User

Post by typewriter » Sun Aug 09, 2009 6:15 pm

A comparison chart of the streaming capabilities of different samplers compared to linuxsampler vst might be very interesting when the release is finally out the door. It should be based on a mainstream PC system, e.g. a 2.6 Ghz Dual or Quad core system and a standard 7200 drive.

dexterflex

Post by dexterflex » Sun Aug 09, 2009 10:35 pm

Will linuxSampler ever allow allow us to import gigapulse impulses that come with some giga libraries?

cuse
Developer

Post by cuse » Mon Aug 10, 2009 7:06 am

Who knows. ;) Personally I'm more interested now in implementing a second sampler format. Maybe Andreas is interested in implementing convolution (a.k.a. "Gigapulse") support one day. I don't know. I also thought about adding sponsorship to our bug tracking system for bugs and feature requests, like other projects already do it. So users could offer a donation for a certain feature request or bug issue and some developer could pick that up and implement / resolve it in turn.

dexterflex

Post by dexterflex » Mon Aug 10, 2009 7:25 pm

Im not sure if I'm doing something wrong but if I load 8 patches in Linuxsampler and would like to add an audio effect to 1 or 2 midi channels it only allows me to add effects to the whole Linuxsampler instance. I'm using sonar 8. Perhaps someone can tell me what I am doing wrong.

sbenno
Developer

Post by sbenno » Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:03 pm

Hi dexterflex,
you have to use FX sends in the Fantasia or qsampler frontends
unfortunately the docs of Fantasia would need to be updated since it does not cover FX sends:
http://www.linuxsampler.org/jsampler/ma ... mpler.html

just try to play around a bit, it's quite easy, if I find the time I could write you step by step how to add midi controlled FX sends to your sample.
But of course if some good soul here has the time to write suck a quick tutorial it would be nice :)

dahnielson

Post by dahnielson » Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:31 pm

I'm using FX sends in this tutorial:

http://bb.linuxsampler.org/viewtopic.ph ... 181&p=1333
Anders Dahnielson

Ardour2, Qtractor, Linuxsampler, M-AUDIO Delta 1010, Axiom 61, Korg D12, AKAI S2000, E-MU Proteus 2k, Roland R-5, Roland HP 1300e, Zoom RFX-1000, 4GB RAM x86_64 Intel Pentium Dual 1.80GHz Gentoo Linux