Midi over ethernet

You're new to the LinuxSampler world? You don't know where to start and nothing works? Here's the place to ask for help.
daniela

Re: Midi over ethernet

Post by daniela » Wed Aug 12, 2009 8:45 am

What is the difference between an ethernet cable and a telephone cable/jack? I am using a router to connect two computers to one internet connection using an ethernet connector. But I only got one ethernet cable and I need two. Can I used the telephone jack/cable connector?

dahnielson

Post by dahnielson » Wed Aug 12, 2009 5:29 pm

daniela wrote:What is the difference between an ethernet cable and a telephone cable/jack? I am using a router to connect two computers to one internet connection using an ethernet connector. But I only got one ethernet cable and I need two. Can I used the telephone jack/cable connector?
Those are quite different, the numbers of leads for instance. An Ethernet cable is called Cat5 and has a broader connector than a telephone cable. The insulation is also different as Ethernet cables operate at higher frequencies with more risk of crosstalk than voice grade cables.
Anders Dahnielson

Ardour2, Qtractor, Linuxsampler, M-AUDIO Delta 1010, Axiom 61, Korg D12, AKAI S2000, E-MU Proteus 2k, Roland R-5, Roland HP 1300e, Zoom RFX-1000, 4GB RAM x86_64 Intel Pentium Dual 1.80GHz Gentoo Linux

cuse
Developer

Post by cuse » Thu Aug 13, 2009 9:55 am

Sometimes you can use a telephone cable as ethernet cable, but usually only on very short distances. I even saw somebody using telephone cables for all his ethernet connections in his house (e.g. from the basement up to the 3rd floor), and with some network cards it worked flawlessly, but with some other ones there were more than 50% packet losses and you couldnt really use any network service that way.

altoidboy

Post by altoidboy » Thu Aug 13, 2009 3:39 pm

I can't wait to give this a try upon release. And will certainly consider sponsoring EthernetMIDI.

arfy

Post by arfy » Fri Sep 11, 2009 5:28 pm

Hi, glad to see ethernet midi is alive and well, however, i have a slight problem. I've confirmed this both locally and over the internet, but it appears that sysex aren't received by the midi device, in this case an sc-8850. Input to ethernet midi comes from in from midi yoke 1, and according to midi ox, the sysex get sent out fine, so what's the problem here? Does this require a code mod, and if so, has a patch been made for this?

Thanks,
arfy

cuse
Developer

Post by cuse » Fri Sep 11, 2009 8:10 pm

Sysex transmission is simply not implemented yet.

arfy

Post by arfy » Sat Sep 12, 2009 12:47 am

cuse wrote:Sysex transmission is simply not implemented yet.
Thanks for the clarification :) that's all I needed to know. Just making sure there wasn't a bug somewhere in the system...

moonskin
User

Post by moonskin » Sun Dec 06, 2009 10:52 am

I know it's been a while since this was discussed but I just came across a version of multimidicast for windows. I don't have a setup to try it but if it works as it says, you should be able to send Midi between Linux and Windows using the two versions.

Because it uses UDP you should also be able to send from a master to multiple receivers, perhaps allowing multiple machines to share the load of synthesis.

The link is http://bitbucket.org/moumar/multimidica ... /wiki/Home

Cheers
Graham