Midi over ethernet

You're new to the LinuxSampler world? You don't know where to start and nothing works? Here's the place to ask for help.
moonskin
User

Re: Midi over ethernet

Post by moonskin » Mon Jul 20, 2009 9:18 am

Rather than build compatibility with ipMIDI, why not see if the MIDI parser in multimidicast can be rewritten to handle the data the way ethernetMIDI does?

Cheers
Graham

sbenno
Developer

Post by sbenno » Mon Jul 20, 2009 11:20 am

MIDI over ethernet is pretty simple because it's basically a stateless protocol and the messages are fairly short (usually no longer than 3 bytes, except for sysex).
using multicast is a good idea since since it allows multiple listeners listening to the same MIDI out stream. multicast was not implemented in EthernetMIDI since it was meant as a simple tool but a new version will definitely support it. what protocol we chose does not matter so much, we could make it compatible to existing protocols as they are all fairly simple or one could just chose the input,output format for each virtual MIDI port. We plan to ship EthernetMIDI as part of LinuxSampler as it is a handy tool and by reusing LinuxSampler MIDI routines we can faster implement full cross platform support (Linux,Windows, OS X).

typewriter
Advanced User

Post by typewriter » Mon Jul 20, 2009 11:33 am

sbenno wrote:We plan to ship EthernetMIDI as part of LinuxSampler as it is a handy tool and by reusing LinuxSampler MIDI routines we can faster implement full cross platform support (Linux,Windows, OS X).
But won't be part of the upcoming release, right?

cuse
Developer

Post by cuse » Mon Jul 20, 2009 3:30 pm

No, it won't be part of the upcoming release. We're only bug fixing at this point. New stuff will only come after the release.

altoidboy

Post by altoidboy » Tue Aug 11, 2009 6:52 am

I just discovered this forum/thread. I'm REALLY wishing for a MIDI over ethernet solution, basically a MOL but without the expensive price tag. I'd gladly pay if someone developed it. In particular, I need to shuttle MIDI between Mac and PC. Sorry to beat what is probably a dead horse around here, but any ETA on when a Mac version might be ready?

cuse
Developer

Post by cuse » Tue Aug 11, 2009 8:17 am

Well, now as the release is almost done (we're just finishing the OS X binaries this week ... I hope), and if somebody sponsors the development, I think some developer could come up with a clean solution of EthernetMidi (including a Mac version) within 2 or 3 weeks I guess.

typewriter
Advanced User

Post by typewriter » Tue Aug 11, 2009 10:31 am

cuse wrote:we're just finishing the OS X binaries this week
AU or VST, too? :)

altoidboy

Post by altoidboy » Tue Aug 11, 2009 5:07 pm

Cuse, just to clarify, you say "the release is almost done" -- presumably you mean the LinuxSampler release?

So you are saying that once the LS release is done, it's possible one of the developers could concentrate on Ethernet MIDI after that, and have it up and running in a couple of weeks?

cuse
Developer

Post by cuse » Tue Aug 11, 2009 7:40 pm

typewriter wrote:AU or VST, too? :)
"Only" standalone and AU for the Mac version for now. :)
altoidboy wrote:Cuse, just to clarify, you say "the release is almost done" -- presumably you mean the LinuxSampler release?

So you are saying that once the LS release is done, it's possible one of the developers could concentrate on Ethernet MIDI after that, and have it up and running in a couple of weeks?
With "release" I mean release of all libs and apps, that is libgig, LinuxSampler, gigedit, liblscp, qsampler, jlscp and JSampler (a.k.a "Fantasia"). They're all tagged in CVS and the source tarballs are already uploaded, and many binaries as well.

And yes, it could be possible that some developer might pick the EthernetMidi job up and finish it in couple weeks.

typewriter
Advanced User

Post by typewriter » Tue Aug 11, 2009 8:04 pm

cuse wrote:"Only" standalone and AU for the Mac version for now. :).
Will be difficult with Protools Mac then but a 64bit 8 core standalone sampler is tempting :)