Gigedit freezes on save

You're new to the LinuxSampler world? You don't know where to start and nothing works? Here's the place to ask for help.
plnkbrn

Gigedit freezes on save

Post by plnkbrn » Fri May 29, 2009 6:44 am

Hi -
I am having a problem using gigedit -- I'm unable to save new gig files. It's a little weird because just a few days ago, right after i finished building/installing linuxsampler etc, I was able to create a simple test .gig file (containing just one sample). Now I cannot. However I am able to open this one first .gig file (or another that i downloaded to test with), edit it, and "save as" a new file, with no problem.

Specifically, gigedit freezes while trying to save. The save dialog remains up, the terminal shows "filename=my_filename" (where my_filename is the actual filename specified), and it hangs there -- i have to kill the process with kill -9.

I'm using Ubuntu Studio 8.04. Compiled libgig, linuxsampler, gigedit, liblscp, qsampler, from source according to instructions in the "Debian how-to", also following the advice in this forum on removing libgig6 before compiling.

Has anyone had a similar problem? or have any idea of where to look (online, in code, etc) for more clues or a solution?

-alex

cuse
Developer

Re: Gigedit freezes on save

Post by cuse » Sat Jun 13, 2009 11:38 am

You could try to debug it, to find out where exactly it hangs. Are you able to do that?

camobrite

Re: Gigedit freezes on save

Post by camobrite » Mon Jun 22, 2009 5:22 am

I had this exact same problem until recently when I reinstalled gigedit from the latest source on the CVS. I'm using Debian Lenny and Gigedit 0.1.1. Now it doesn't freeze when I save and there are fewer problems loading the files in qsampler. It's been my experience that it isn't worth the trouble to compile to debian packages because of the libgig6 problem. Just apt-get purge all the linuxsampler packages (including the dev packages) and try a local build the old fashioned way with make. Good luck!