Backend control

You're new to the LinuxSampler world? You don't know where to start and nothing works? Here's the place to ask for help.
jamat13

Backend control

Post by jamat13 » Sun Apr 19, 2009 4:34 am

Hi
I installed Linuxsampler and after a day of mucking around with JSampler I was unable to make it run (Audio device error ad nausium)
I then telnet'd to the backend and configured it as per the docs. All well and working except terrible audio distortion. Much googling changing
soundcards, samplerate, but all to no avail.
I then installed the backend on another machine and would like to play a sound to test.
IE I want to SEND CHANNEL MIDI_DATA <midi-msg> <sampler-chan> <arg1> <arg2> (draft) on my LinuxSampler 0.5.1 where that command does not exist.
Spelunking in the QSampler source I cannot see how a frontend gets a backend to play a sound.
Can anybody please show me WHAT to say to the backend that will trigger a sound. There is no midi on the current backend machine that I want to try, so I cannot just configure MIDI input to the backend.
Thanks
James

ggoodesa
Advanced User

Re: backend control

Post by ggoodesa » Sun Apr 19, 2009 7:33 am

Hi James,
A little more detail about what you're running on (windows, linux, mac) would help us help you.
As you have already seen, the linuxsampler audio backend communicates via the network on the specific port (usually 0.0.0.0:8888) using the LSCP (linuxsampler control protocol). You can find a document listing all of the parameters regarding the LSCP at http://www.linuxsampler.org/api/draft-l ... tocol.html

Using the LSCP you would create audio and midi drivers (can just be dummy/generic) within LinuxSampler, load a GIG sample file into a specific Midi channel, and then send MIDI messages to that channel.

Please give a little more detail on your audio configuration as well, we could probably help you get it working on the original computer too...
GrahamG
Johannesburg, South Africa

jamat13

Re: Backend control

Post by jamat13 » Mon Apr 20, 2009 1:56 pm

Graham
Thanks for the answer and pointers.
I'm using linux 64 machines, suse 11.1 and ubuntu 8.10.
Much leaning has led me to aseqnet and friends.
After much messing around I have advanced from distorted sound to no sound.
aseqview shows midi events from the keyboard on channel 3 (?)
SUBSCRIBE MISCELLANEOUS shows that the sampler is definitely receiving events.
aplay to card 0,0 works. How do I trouble shoot the lack of sound out of linuxsampler ?
linuxsampler is configured to use card 0,0 and last lifetime (yesterday) that did make a noise.
Thanks
James

ggoodesa
Advanced User

Post by ggoodesa » Mon Apr 20, 2009 4:16 pm

Hi James,
Are you using Jack or ALSA? Have you compiled linuxsampler yourself or are you using the Debian release? If you're using the Debian release version would you consider compiling libgig and linuxsampler from the latest CVS so that you have the most recent enhancements (which make using linuxsampler easier)?

WIth Ubuntu 8.10 if you're using the desktop version you're also dealing with PulseAudio, which may be messing around with the audio stream...

I'm only using 32bit OSs at the moment, so I'm afraid I won't be much help troubleshooting if the problem is related to something 64-bit specific.
GrahamG

jamat13

Post by jamat13 » Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:22 am

Graham
again many thanks.
I'll start at the beginning (compiling linuxsampler and libs)
I'm using ALSA, have disabled pulse for other reasons (choppy audio) and slowly make progress that route.
I'll also look at the whole jack picture and decide if I want/need to go there.
Cheers
James

jamat13

Post by jamat13 » Sat Apr 25, 2009 5:23 am

Feedback that may help others, and repeated on multiple systems where it works consistantly:
I built linuxsampler from the latest CVS so I could use SEND CHANNEL MIDI_DATA NOTE_ON 0 56 112 etc for testing
I installed JACK (utterly confusing) and qjackctl to make the connections
I used the maestro_concert_grand_v2.gig sample set
I've tried SoundBlaster Live Value, and the onboard HiDef audio on ASUS M2N68-AM and ASUS M2N-MX mobos

Everything works perfectly :-)

James

ggoodesa
Advanced User

Post by ggoodesa » Sun Apr 26, 2009 8:45 am

Hi James,
Glad that you've got it going nicely! Yes, Jack is a bit of a mystery the first time that you use it - and the available documentation is sparse. However, once you have wrapped your head around what it is and what it does it is THE most powerful audio utility. And is available in Linux, Windows, and OS-X... Perhaps we should start putting together a small 'Using Jack Audio Connections' document for others who are new to it?
Have fun!
GrahamG

barryd

Post by barryd » Thu May 21, 2009 1:01 pm

Hi all,
I'd second the motion to have some decent Jack documentation available. I have just gone through the frustrating procedures with setting Jack for use with Fantasia and Freeverb3. I now have it working (with thanks to GrahamG :) ), and am very pleased with the organ running LinuxSampler and Joe Hardy's samples. Documentation covering Freeverb3 would also be essential reading to get it to work properly.

All the best!
Barry
(Gold Coast, Queensland, Australia)

Alex

Post by Alex » Mon May 25, 2009 7:11 am

I've got a few things to do at the moment, and not enough hours in the day. But i have planned for some time to do a tutorial on setting up jack (just a simple one), and will get to this as soon as i can.

There's a fair bit of info on the interlink, and google will give a few options, but i agree, this could be laid out in an easier format, for those unfamiliar with Jack and how it works.

Be advised that Jack1 0.116.2 and Jack2 1.9.2 (jackdmp) are the stable versions at the moment, and the Jack team are working on the next phase of the Jack evolution, so sticking to stable version for now, is probably a good idea.

Jack isn't hard to setup, imho, it''s more the work you have to do with Alsa, the kernel, and the tweaking involved, that makes it seem tougher than it is.

I'll post some notes as soon as they're written.

Alex.