JSampler Can't Find LinuxSampler

You're new to the LinuxSampler world? You don't know where to start and nothing works? Here's the place to ask for help.
raweber

JSampler Can't Find LinuxSampler

Post by raweber » Thu Apr 02, 2009 3:08 am

I just installed LinuxSampler. Upon launching JSampler, I was prompted to select a directory. Not know the purpose of the directory, I specified the incorrect one (I assume I needed to specify the directory where LinuxSampler resides).

Anyway, now when I launch JSampler, I get an error that it cannot connect with LinuxSampler, and cannot figure out how to specify the correct path. When I press the preferences button, nothing happens.

Also, when I get this all figured out, how do I launch JSampler within Sonar as a VSTi?

ggoodesa
Advanced User

Re: JSampler Can't Find LinuxSampler

Post by ggoodesa » Thu Apr 02, 2009 5:43 am

Hi Rob,

I assume you're using Windows and I assume that you've downloaded the release installer version and haven't built everything from the sourcecode.

As far as I know, the release version of jSampler Fantasia (frontend) requires the LinuxSampler (backend) to be already running before being started. So start LinuxSampler first and then start Fantasia.

In order to use Fantasia as a VSTi in Sonar you will either have to build the CVS version or wait for the upcoming new release. See http://www.linuxsampler.org/msys.html for a tutorial on how to build the CVS version in Windows.

Is there a particular reason that you want to use LinuxSampler as a VSTi? Using 'MIDI Yoke' virtual MIDI ports you can channel MIDI from Sonar into LinuxSampler.

Hope you get it working!
GrahamG

dahnielson

Post by dahnielson » Thu Apr 02, 2009 9:41 am

ggoodesa wrote:As far as I know, the release version of jSampler Fantasia (frontend) requires the LinuxSampler (backend) to be already running before being started. So start LinuxSampler first and then start Fantasia.
Just want to point out that's not completely true. Go to the Preferences (Ctrl+Shift+P) and under the Backend tab you'll find a Launch backend if not started yet checkbox, check it and fill in the proper command to start LinuxSampler. It will launch LS together with Fantasia as a stand alone app if there's no LS instance already running. If it finds one, say a VST, then it will not launch any new instance.
Anders Dahnielson

Ardour2, Qtractor, Linuxsampler, M-AUDIO Delta 1010, Axiom 61, Korg D12, AKAI S2000, E-MU Proteus 2k, Roland R-5, Roland HP 1300e, Zoom RFX-1000, 4GB RAM x86_64 Intel Pentium Dual 1.80GHz Gentoo Linux

ggoodesa
Advanced User

Post by ggoodesa » Thu Apr 02, 2009 10:27 am

Sorry - as far as I can recall, the release version of LinuxSampler for Windows has version 0.8a of Fantasia and does not have that option. The Launch backend if not started yet checkbox was only added in a later version. A more recent version of Fantasia can be downloaded from the LinuxSampler site, but it has options that use the updates to LinuxSampler that are only available in a CVS build.