Hello. Newb here, can't get any sound?

You're new to the LinuxSampler world? You don't know where to start and nothing works? Here's the place to ask for help.
JohnnysCash

Hello. Newb here, can't get any sound?

Post by JohnnysCash » Fri Mar 27, 2009 10:58 pm

Hello :)

I've downloaded and installed these items...

1. libgig
2. linuxsampler
3. gigedit
4. liblscp
5. qsampler

... in that order as is advised. Everything installed very smoothly, and I had no probs getting Linux Sampler fired up with both Jsampler and Qsampler front ends.

I have followed the instructions for selecting my ASIO card for sound output and MIDI input. Everything seems fine. I have then browsed for and successfully loaded a large .gig instrument in a newly created channel.

My problems begin when I hit the keys on my MIDI keyboard... No sound! No response from Linux sampler at all, no signs that MIDI information is even being detected.

I've scoured Google and this site all day and have found basically no info about this, so I'm hoping that I'm just missing something very basic as no one else seems to be experiencing this problem.

System specs: Quad core processor, ASUS P5E3 MOBO, Audigy ZS 2 soundcard (ASIO).

If there's anything else you need to know in order to help me please let me know.

Thanks for reading :)

ggoodesa
Advanced User

Re: Hello. Newb here, can't get any sound?

Post by ggoodesa » Sat Mar 28, 2009 5:52 am

Hi Jonny,
Let's start by confirming the basics.
Could you tell us how your MIDI keyboard is connected to the computer? Through your sound card or through a USB port? Have you used the keyboard with other apps?
Then, when configuring your MIDI device in Qsampler, what is the 'PORT' parameter that you have configured it with? (When creating the MIDI port you click on 'MIDI device' on the left side, then click on the Create button on the lower right side, then configure the PORT parameter in the created MIDI interface Device on the right side).
It might be wise to download MIDI-OX and use it as a MIDI Monitor while troubleshooting.
GrahamG

JohnnysCash

Post by JohnnysCash » Sat Mar 28, 2009 10:36 pm

Thanks for getting back quickly Graham. Yes, I successfully use my MIDI keyboard with other programs, namely Reason 4 and Cubase SX3. It is connected using the MIDI port on the Creative sound card.

When I set up the MIDI input it came with the default port name 0. I have selected the port on my soundcard from the drop down box below 'name'.

I just can't understand it, everything seems right, but yet no sound. Is some other piece of software needed to get my keyboard to communicate with LS?

I will look into MIDI ox as you mentioned, thanks for the tip :)

ggoodesa
Advanced User

Post by ggoodesa » Mon Mar 30, 2009 10:12 am

Hi Jonny,
When using Qsampler, once you've loaded the GIG instrument and are playing the MIDI keyboard (which the correct MIDI Channel selected), are there any changes on the Qsampler window? If the MIDI is connected you should see the 'green numbers' increase. If there is no change then the MIDI is the problem and we need to install MIDI-OX and MIDI Yoke to do some troubleshooting. If the numbers do increase, then MIDI is working, but the Audio isn't...
It might be better to install a more recent version of LinuxSampler. Are you ok with compiling in Windows or would you prefer an installer version? I put together a CVS build at the end of Dec/beginning of January which is available for download at one of my Virtual Pipe Organ project Websites. I can give you the URL if that will make your life easier (it only uses Fantasia, not Qsampler).
GrahamG

JohnnysCash

Post by JohnnysCash » Wed Apr 01, 2009 3:00 pm

Hi Graham, once again thanks for getting back quickly. I installed and ran MIDI OX which had no problem in receiving MIDI data from the soundcards MIDI inputs. I then installed MIDI Yoke in order to route that MIDI info to Linux Sampler. All to no avail I'm sad to report :(

I have loaded the instrument into Qsampler with no probs, but I am not observing any change in the green numbers you mentioned when hitting the keys on my MIDI keyboard.

I installed MIDI Yoke just now and set the output of MIDI OX to: "Out to MIDI Yoke: 1". Now when I try to configure the MIDI input of Qsampler the MIDI Yoke input is not listed anywhere, just the default choices

Type: MME
Port: 0
Channel: 1-16
Device: MIDI MME device 0
Map: Chromatic/Drum kits

You mentioned that you had an XP installer all-in-one based on Jsampler. I understand that jsampler is a bit of a resource hog, but I'd be happy just to get this thing up and running. Perhaps I could use your installer package and then install Qsampler at a later stage if needed?

I'm surprised (and pleased) to see that these issues are rare as I can find nothing regarding my specific problem anywhere online or on this site. I'm hoping that it's just my computer illiteracy ;)

One more quick question if you don't mind Graham: Will Linux Sampler work in rewire mode with Cubase SX3, or any other DAW app. for that matter? I ask you this because if the answer is no, then there will be little reason for me to continue in my quest to get Linusx Sampler running.

Once again, big thanks for all the ideas so far, I really appreciate it. Look forward to your response :)

Sincerely, Johnny.

JohnnysCash

Post by JohnnysCash » Wed Apr 01, 2009 3:17 pm

Hi again, please disregard the following from my previous reply:

"I installed MIDI Yoke just now and set the output of MIDI OX to: "Out to MIDI Yoke: 1". Now when I try to configure the MIDI input of Qsampler the MIDI Yoke input is not listed anywhere, just the default choices

Type: MME
Port: 0
Channel: 1-16
Device: MIDI MME device 0
Map: Chromatic/Drum kits"

These are the options presented for the channel, not the general input of Qsampler. I checked again and MIDI Yoke 1 IS listed, however after selecting it, there is still no MIDI information registering in Qsampler.

Thanks.

EDIT:

When selecting "in from MIDI Yoke 1" I receive the following error message: MIDI MME Device 0
Could not set Port 0 parameter value.
Sorry.

ggoodesa
Advanced User

Post by ggoodesa » Thu Apr 02, 2009 9:17 am

Hi Johnny,
Does Cubase SX3 have ASIO inputs and outputs or just Rewire? If ASIO then LinuxSampler is great, particularly when used in conjunction with the Jack Audio Connection Kit (http://www.grame.fr/~letz/jackdmp.html). If Cubase SX3 does not use ASIO then can it host a VSTi? If so then you'll need the latest CVS build of LinuxSampler or the upcoming new release - no date given as there are a few bugs still outstanding.

In regard to your current issue there are two things to try.

1. Delete the MIDI device inthe Qsampler config window. Create a new one and configure it to 'In From MIDI Yoke: 1' once it has been created and before you click on 'Close'. (e.g. Click on MIDI MME device 0 on the left hand side of the dialogue window to select it, then click on 'Delete'. Click on 'OK' on the warning window. Now Click on MIDI devices in the left hand side of the dialogue window and then click on 'Create'. Click on the newly created MIDI MME device 0. In the lower right hand section of the configure screen you will now see 'Parameter' 'Value' and 'Description'. In the Value box there is a drop down selector. Select In From MIDI Yoke: 1 in the drop down. Now click on 'Close'). If you still get the error then try....
2. Reboot the computer. Load LinuxSampler backend, Qsampler frontend, and try again from the beginning.

If it still fails to map to In From Midi Yoke: 1 then let us know.

GrahamG