Does it load old 1.x .gig files?

You're new to the LinuxSampler world? You don't know where to start and nothing works? Here's the place to ask for help.
conurus

Does it load old 1.x .gig files?

Post by conurus » Fri Mar 20, 2009 9:02 pm

I was an early Gigasampler adopter and I am dusting off my music rig and I am deciding between:

1, Installing Gigasampler 1.61 on Windows ME with APSLive drivers for ASIO and effects, or

2, Installing Linuxsampler on Xubuntu.

I purchased a cheap 2.2G Celeron with only 512M RAM to run Windows ME (Windows ME won't take more than 512M), but afterwards I discovered there is this open source Linuxsampler. Great work! I will certainly not upgrade to Gigastudio 2/3/4 because of this.

Either way I will try to hold .gig files on compact flash through the IDE interface. In the old days (10 years ago) the hard drive was required to have a seek time smaller than 9ms and I'd imagine nowadays it would be the same. There is no concern of wear for the CF if we are just using the .gig, not editing it. I am not sure if others have tried this idea and if you did how did it work out for you?

I am definitely leaning towards Linux because of the stability difference. All my .gigs are in version 1.x format. Will Linuxsampler load them?

Thanks!

Andreas
Developer

Re: Does it load old 1.x .gig files?

Post by Andreas » Sat Mar 21, 2009 10:45 am

conurus wrote:All my .gigs are in version 1.x format. Will Linuxsampler load them?
Yes, it should work. Please report if it doesn't.