Trying to compile gigedit on CCRMA (Fedora 8)

You're new to the LinuxSampler world? You don't know where to start and nothing works? Here's the place to ask for help.
mazarick

Trying to compile gigedit on CCRMA (Fedora 8)

Post by mazarick » Sun Mar 01, 2009 4:13 pm

Well, thru a set of very good fortune and circumstances, I have discovered that LinuxSampler plays gigastudio files extremely well (however, I have noticed some of the distortion discussed elsewhere on some of the gig samples I've downloaded). It could well turn out that the best gigastudio solution is a linux box playing gig samples. I can fully see why film producers composed their soundtracks with the gigastudio solution - the samples and sample format is the real key and gigastudio had the best sample format (from what I have experienced). My good fortune was that I had an old uninstalled version of GS3 Solo (purchased a couple of years ago for cheap). I had also bought (but not used or installed) a 40GB hard disk worth of samples to use with GS3, and later discovered LinuxSampler so I could actually play the samples without going to the trouble of installing a dead product (GS3), which is supposed to be a major PIA anyway.

This all led to the next level of complexity. So we all know that the gig sample format is dying off because Tascam has abandoned the product. I had looked to see if gigedit was available (I tried "yum install gigedit", but there isn't an RPM of this available), I grabbed the source and started trying to compile in on the FC8 CCRMA system I am using. I first ran into trouble with the ./configure step, but I eventually figured out that I needed a few development libraries, so I was able to get the configure step finished and build a make file. Now, I am running into difficulties with 'make'. The messages I'm getting are:

[root@localhost gigedit-0.1.1]# make
make all-recursive
make[1]: Entering directory `/root/Download/gigedit/gigedit-0.1.1'
Making all in src
make[2]: Entering directory `/root/Download/gigedit/gigedit-0.1.1/src'
Making all in gigedit
make[3]: Entering directory `/root/Download/gigedit/gigedit-0.1.1/src/gigedit'
... (could furnish this if needed, of course)
/usr/include/glibmm-2.4/glibmm/containerhandle_shared.h: In static member function 'static bool Glib::Container_Helpers::TypeTraits<bool>::to_cpp_type(gboolean*)':
/usr/include/glibmm-2.4/glibmm/containerhandle_shared.h:335: error: cast from 'gboolean*' to 'gint' loses precision
make[3]: *** [libgigedit_la-gigedit.lo] Error 1
make[3]: Leaving directory `/root/Download/gigedit/gigedit-0.1.1/src/gigedit'
make[2]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/root/Download/gigedit/gigedit-0.1.1/src'
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/root/Download/gigedit/gigedit-0.1.1'
make: *** [all] Error 2

I should note that glibmm* was one of the dev libraries I needed to get configure to work, The versions I'm using are:
[root@localhost gigedit-0.1.1]# yum install glibmm*
Package glibmm24-2.14.2-1.fc8.x86_64 already installed and latest version
Package glibmm24-2.14.2-1.fc8.i386 already installed and latest version
Package glibmm24-devel-2.14.2-1.fc8.x86_64 already installed and latest version
Package glibmm24-devel-2.14.2-1.fc8.i386 already installed and latest version
Nothing to do

If anyone can help me out getting past this step, it would be GREATLY appreciated.

Regards,

Mike

Andreas
Developer

Re: Trying to compile gigedit on CCRMA (Fedora 8)

Post by Andreas » Sun Mar 01, 2009 5:49 pm

That looks like a strange problem and I probably don't know how to solve it, but I would like see a bit more of the error message.

mazarick

Post by mazarick » Sun Mar 01, 2009 6:47 pm

There's not a lot of pointers (or I would have figured it out myself), but here goes what I know:
from this point, the addition info about the compile options is given below:
make[3]: Entering directory `/root/Download/gigedit/gigedit-0.1.1/src/gigedit'
/bin/sh ../../libtool --tag=CXX --mode=compile g++ -DLOCALEDIR=\"/usr/local/share/locale\" -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I../.. -pthread -I/usr/include/gtkmm-2.4 -I/usr/lib/gtkmm-2.4/include -I/usr/include/glibmm-2.4 -I/usr/lib/glibmm-2.4/include -I/usr/include/gdkmm-2.4 -I/usr/lib/gdkmm-2.4/include -I/usr/include/pangomm-1.4 -I/usr/include/atkmm-1.6 -I/usr/include/gtk-2.0 -I/usr/include/glib-2.0 -I/usr/lib/glib-2.0/include -I/usr/lib/gtk-2.0/include -I/usr/include/pango-1.0 -I/usr/include/atk-1.0 -I/usr/include/sigc++-2.0 -I/usr/lib64/sigc++-2.0/include -I/usr/include/cairomm-1.0 -I/usr/include/cairo -g -O2 -MT libgigedit_la-gigedit.lo -MD -MP -MF .deps/libgigedit_la-gigedit.Tpo -c -o libgigedit_la-gigedit.lo `test -f 'gigedit.cpp' || echo './'`gigedit.cpp
g++ -DLOCALEDIR=\"/usr/local/share/locale\" -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I../.. -pthread -I/usr/include/gtkmm-2.4 -I/usr/lib/gtkmm-2.4/include -I/usr/include/glibmm-2.4 -I/usr/lib/glibmm-2.4/include -I/usr/include/gdkmm-2.4 -I/usr/lib/gdkmm-2.4/include -I/usr/include/pangomm-1.4 -I/usr/include/atkmm-1.6 -I/usr/include/gtk-2.0 -I/usr/include/glib-2.0 -I/usr/lib/glib-2.0/include -I/usr/lib/gtk-2.0/include -I/usr/include/pango-1.0 -I/usr/include/atk-1.0 -I/usr/include/sigc++-2.0 -I/usr/lib64/sigc++-2.0/include -I/usr/include/cairomm-1.0 -I/usr/include/cairo -g -O2 -MT libgigedit_la-gigedit.lo -MD -MP -MF .deps/libgigedit_la-gigedit.Tpo -c gigedit.cpp -fPIC -DPIC -o .libs/libgigedit_la-gigedit.o
/usr/include/glibmm-2.4/glibmm/containerhandle_shared.h: In static member function 'static bool Glib::Container_Helpers::TypeTraits<bool>::to_cpp_type(gboolean*)':
/usr/include/glibmm-2.4/glibmm/containerhandle_shared.h:335: error: cast from 'gboolean*' to 'gint' loses precision
make[3]: *** [libgigedit_la-gigedit.lo] Error 1

The other details you'd probably want to ask are:

[root@localhost gigedit-0.1.1]# more /usr/include/glibmm-2.4/glibmm/containerhandle_shared.h
(after I look for "TypeTraits<bool>)
template <>
struct TypeTraits<bool>
{
typedef bool CppType;
typedef gboolean* CType;
typedef gboolean* CTypeNonConst;
static CType to_c_type (CppType val) { return (int*)GINT_TO_POINTER(val); }
static CType to_c_type (CType ptr) { return ptr; }
static CppType to_cpp_type(CType ptr)
{
if(ptr)
{
//We use this for gboolean too, because it is actually an int.
return GPOINTER_TO_INT(ptr);
}
else
return CppType();
}
static void release_c_type(CType /* ptr */)
{
}
};

(here's what I get on line 335)
static CppType to_cpp_type(CType ptr)
{
if(ptr)
{
//We use this for gboolean too, because it is actually an int.
return GPOINTER_TO_INT(ptr);
}
else
return CppType();
}
static void release_c_type(CType /* ptr */)
{
}
};
#endif /* DOXYGEN_SHOULD_SKIP_THIS */

[root@localhost gigedit-0.1.1]# uname -a
Linux localhost.localdomain 2.6.26.8-57.fc8 #1 SMP Thu Dec 18 18:59:49 EST 2008 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

[root@localhost gigedit-0.1.1]# g++ -v
Using built-in specs.
Target: x86_64-redhat-linux
Configured with: ../configure --prefix=/usr --mandir=/usr/share/man --infodir=/usr/share/info --enable-shared --enable-threads=posix --enable-checking=release --with-system-zlib --enable-__cxa_atexit --disable-libunwind-exceptions --enable-languages=c,c++,objc,obj-c++,java,fortran,ada --enable-java-awt=gtk --disable-dssi --enable-plugin --with-java-home=/usr/lib/jvm/java-1.5.0-gcj-1.5.0.0/jre --enable-libgcj-multifile --enable-java-maintainer-mode --with-ecj-jar=/usr/share/java/eclipse-ecj.jar --with-cpu=generic --host=x86_64-redhat-linux
Thread model: posix
gcc version 4.1.2 20070925 (Red Hat 4.1.2-33)

The big win would be if we got this working well enough to put in the CCRMA repository. Secondary wins would be to put it in another Fedora repository (but who would care about it without linuxsampler?). The immediate problem is getting it to compile.

I'm stumped and would be glad to try anything suggested. Probably the easiest thing to figure out is whether I have all the dev libraries needed and just go ahead and install them. I'll try to do this while you look at the code to see where the problem lies...

-Mike

mazarick

Post by mazarick » Sun Mar 01, 2009 8:12 pm

Well, I continue to be stumped... The dev libraries are all in place and (just to make sure) all of the Include directories listed are there also.

-Mike

Andreas
Developer

Post by Andreas » Sun Mar 01, 2009 8:17 pm

The code in the gtkmm file seems to have been rewritten in later gtkmm versions. See:

http://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=406960

Maybe it's the combination of the gtkmm version and a 64 bit system that causes the error.

Do you get the same error if you compile a minimal program like in this mail:

http://www.mail-archive.com/gtkmm-list@ ... 11531.html

mazarick

Post by mazarick » Sun Mar 01, 2009 11:09 pm

I tried the minimal program that was listed in the link. I edited it an created something I called 'test.cpp'. I read the reply that the user should be using:
First of all, you really should be using
#include <gtkmm/main.h>
not
#include <gtkmm-2.4/gtkmm/main.h>

However, using the prefix or not doen't seem to make a lot of difference (have tried all combos of this)

The program now looks like:
[root@localhost test]# cat test.cpp
#include <gtkmm-2.4/gtkmm/main.h>
#include <gtkmm-2.4/gtkmm/window.h>
int main(int argc, char **argv)
{
Gtk::Main app(argc, argv);
Gtk::Window w;
app.run(w);
return 0
}
[root@localhost test]#

[root@localhost test]# g++ test.cpp
In file included from test.cpp:1:
/usr/include/gtkmm-2.4/gtkmm/main.h:7:20: error: glibmm.h: No such file or directory
/usr/include/gtkmm-2.4/gtkmm/main.h:31:25: error: gtk/gtkmain.h: No such file or directory
/usr/include/gtkmm-2.4/gtkmm/main.h:33:27: error: sigc++/sigc++.h: No such file or directory
/usr/include/gtkmm-2.4/gtkmm/main.h:34:25: error: gdkmm/types.h: No such file or directory
In file included from test.cpp:2:
/usr/include/gtkmm-2.4/gtkmm/window.h:30:27: error: glibmm/object.h: No such file or directory
/usr/include/gtkmm-2.4/gtkmm/window.h:31:31: error: glibmm/listhandle.h: No such file or directory
/usr/include/gtkmm-2.4/gtkmm/window.h:32:23: error: gtkmm/bin.h: No such file or directory
/usr/include/gtkmm-2.4/gtkmm/main.h:52: error: "sigc" has not been declared
/usr/include/gtkmm-2.4/gtkmm/main.h:52: error: typedef name may not be a nested-name-specifier
/usr/include/gtkmm-2.4/gtkmm/main.h:52: error: expected ";" before "<" token
/usr/include/gtkmm-2.4/gtkmm/main.h:54: error: "sigc" has not been declared
/usr/include/gtkmm-2.4/gtkmm/main.h:54: error: expected ";" before "connect"
/usr/include/gtkmm-2.4/gtkmm/main.h:57: error: "gboolean" does not name a type
/usr/include/gtkmm-2.4/gtkmm/main.h:65: error: "sigc" has not been declared
/usr/include/gtkmm-2.4/gtkmm/main.h:65: error: typedef name may not be a nested-name-specifier
/usr/include/gtkmm-2.4/gtkmm/main.h:65: error: expected ";" before "<" token
/usr/include/gtkmm-2.4/gtkmm/main.h:67: error: "sigc" has not been declared
/usr/include/gtkmm-2.4/gtkmm/main.h:67: error: expected ";" before "connect"
/usr/include/gtkmm-2.4/gtkmm/main.h:70: error: "gboolean" does not name a type
/usr/include/gtkmm-2.4/gtkmm/main.h:78: error: "sigc" has not been declared
/usr/include/gtkmm-2.4/gtkmm/main.h:78: error: typedef name may not be a nested-name-specifier
/usr/include/gtkmm-2.4/gtkmm/main.h:78: error: expected ";" before "<" token
/usr/include/gtkmm-2.4/gtkmm/main.h:80: error: "sigc" has not been declared
/usr/include/gtkmm-2.4/gtkmm/main.h:80: error: expected ";" before "connect"
/usr/include/gtkmm-2.4/gtkmm/main.h:83: error: "GtkWidget" has not been declared
/usr/include/gtkmm-2.4/gtkmm/main.h:83: error: "GdkEventKey" has not been declared
/usr/include/gtkmm-2.4/gtkmm/main.h:83: error: "gpointer" has not been declared
/usr/include/gtkmm-2.4/gtkmm/main.h:114: error: "sigc" has not been declared
/usr/include/gtkmm-2.4/gtkmm/main.h:114: error: expected `{' before "trackable"
/usr/include/gtkmm-2.4/gtkmm/main.h:114: error: invalid function declaration
/usr/include/gtkmm-2.4/gtkmm/window.h:60: error: "Glib" has not been declared
/usr/include/gtkmm-2.4/gtkmm/window.h:60: error: expected `{' before "Object"
/usr/include/gtkmm-2.4/gtkmm/window.h:60: error: invalid function declaration
/usr/include/gtkmm-2.4/gtkmm/window.h:154: error: expected class-name before "{" token
/usr/include/gtkmm-2.4/gtkmm/window.h:176: error: expected "," or "..." before "::" token
/usr/include/gtkmm-2.4/gtkmm/window.h:183: error: "GType" does not name a type
/usr/include/gtkmm-2.4/gtkmm/window.h:184: error: "GType" does not name a type
/usr/include/gtkmm-2.4/gtkmm/window.h:215: error: expected `)' before "type"
/usr/include/gtkmm-2.4/gtkmm/window.h:665: error: "WindowType" does not name a type
/usr/include/gtkmm-2.4/gtkmm/window.h:668: error: "Glib" has not been declared
/usr/include/gtkmm-2.4/gtkmm/window.h:668: error: expected ";" before "<" token
/usr/include/gtkmm-2.4/gtkmm/window.h:669: error: "Glib" has not been declared
/usr/include/gtkmm-2.4/gtkmm/window.h:669: error: expected ";" before "<" token
/usr/include/gtkmm-2.4/gtkmm/window.h:677: error: "Glib" has not been declared
/usr/include/gtkmm-2.4/gtkmm/window.h:677: error: expected ";" before "<" token
/usr/include/gtkmm-2.4/gtkmm/window.h:685: error: "Glib" has not been declared
/usr/include/gtkmm-2.4/gtkmm/window.h:685: error: expected ";" before "<" token
/usr/include/gtkmm-2.4/gtkmm/window.h:701: error: expected "," or "..." before "::" token
/usr/include/gtkmm-2.4/gtkmm/window.h:709: error: "Glib" has not been declared
/usr/include/gtkmm-2.4/gtkmm/window.h:709: error: expected ";" before "get_title"
/usr/include/gtkmm-2.4/gtkmm/window.h:723: error: expected "," or "..." before "::" token
/usr/include/gtkmm-2.4/gtkmm/window.h:741: error: expected "," or "..." before "::" token
/usr/include/gtkmm-2.4/gtkmm/window.h:751: error: "Glib" has not been declared
/usr/include/gtkmm-2.4/gtkmm/window.h:751: error: expected ";" before "get_role"
/usr/include/gtkmm-2.4/gtkmm/window.h:759: error: expected "," or "..." before "::" token
/usr/include/gtkmm-2.4/gtkmm/window.h:765: error: expected "," or "..." before "::" token
/usr/include/gtkmm-2.4/gtkmm/window.h:773: error: "WindowPosition" has not been declared
/usr/include/gtkmm-2.4/gtkmm/window.h:894: error: "Gdk" has not been declared
/usr/include/gtkmm-2.4/gtkmm/window.h:894: error: expected "," or "..." before "hint"
/usr/include/gtkmm-2.4/gtkmm/window.h:899: error: "Gdk" has not been declared
/usr/include/gtkmm-2.4/gtkmm/window.h:899: error: expected ";" before "get_type_hint"
/usr/include/gtkmm-2.4/gtkmm/window.h:1017: error: "Gdk" has not been declared
/usr/include/gtkmm-2.4/gtkmm/window.h:1017: error: expected "," or "..." before "gravity"
/usr/include/gtkmm-2.4/gtkmm/window.h:1023: error: "Gdk" has not been declared
/usr/include/gtkmm-2.4/gtkmm/window.h:1023: error: expected ";" before "get_gravity"
/usr/include/gtkmm-2.4/gtkmm/window.h:1035: error: expected "," or "..." before "::" token
/usr/include/gtkmm-2.4/gtkmm/window.h:1046: error: expected "," or "..." before "::" token
/usr/include/gtkmm-2.4/gtkmm/window.h:1054: error: "Glib" has not been declared
/usr/include/gtkmm-2.4/gtkmm/window.h:1054: error: expected ";" before "<" token
/usr/include/gtkmm-2.4/gtkmm/window.h:1061: error: "Glib" has not been declared
/usr/include/gtkmm-2.4/gtkmm/window.h:1061: error: expected ";" before "<" token
/usr/include/gtkmm-2.4/gtkmm/window.h:1174: error: "Glib" has not been declared
/usr/include/gtkmm-2.4/gtkmm/window.h:1174: error: expected ";' before "<" token
/usr/include/gtkmm-2.4/gtkmm/window.h:1181: error: "Glib" has not been declared
/usr/include/gtkmm-2.4/gtkmm/window.h:1181: error: expected ";" before "<" token
/usr/include/gtkmm-2.4/gtkmm/window.h:1210: error: expected "," or "..." before "::" token
/usr/include/gtkmm-2.4/gtkmm/window.h:1233: error: expected "," or "..." before "::" token
/usr/include/gtkmm-2.4/gtkmm/window.h:1248: error: expected unqualified-id before "&" token
/usr/include/gtkmm-2.4/gtkmm/window.h:1248: error: expected "," or "..." before "&" token
/usr/include/gtkmm-2.4/gtkmm/window.h:1257: error: "Glib" has not been declared
/usr/include/gtkmm-2.4/gtkmm/window.h:1257: error: expected ";" before "<" token
/usr/include/gtkmm-2.4/gtkmm/window.h:1264: error: "Glib" has not been declared
/usr/include/gtkmm-2.4/gtkmm/window.h:1264: error: expected ";" before "<" token
/usr/include/gtkmm-2.4/gtkmm/window.h:1276: error: expected "," or "..." before "::" token
/usr/include/gtkmm-2.4/gtkmm/window.h:1282: error: "Glib" has not been declared
/usr/include/gtkmm-2.4/gtkmm/window.h:1282: error: expected ";" before "<" token
/usr/include/gtkmm-2.4/gtkmm/window.h:1291: error: expected "," or "..." before "::" token
/usr/include/gtkmm-2.4/gtkmm/window.h:1300: error: expected "," or "..." before "::" token
/usr/include/gtkmm-2.4/gtkmm/window.h:1313: error: expected unqualified-id before "&" token
/usr/include/gtkmm-2.4/gtkmm/window.h:1313: error: expected "," or "..." before "&" token
/usr/include/gtkmm-2.4/gtkmm/window.h:1354: error: "Glib" has not been declared
/usr/include/gtkmm-2.4/gtkmm/window.h:1354: error: expected ";" before "<" token
/usr/include/gtkmm-2.4/gtkmm/window.h:1361: error: "guint" has not been declared
/usr/include/gtkmm-2.4/gtkmm/window.h:1368: error: "guint" has not been declared
/usr/include/gtkmm-2.4/gtkmm/window.h:1376: error: "guint" has not been declared
/usr/include/gtkmm-2.4/gtkmm/window.h:1376: error: "Gdk" has not been declared
/usr/include/gtkmm-2.4/gtkmm/window.h:1376: error: expected "," or "..." before "modifier"
/usr/include/gtkmm-2.4/gtkmm/window.h:1383: error: "Gdk" has not been declared
/usr/include/gtkmm-2.4/gtkmm/window.h:1383: error: expected "," or "..." before "modifier"
/usr/include/gtkmm-2.4/gtkmm/window.h:1390: error: "Gdk" has not been declared
/usr/include/gtkmm-2.4/gtkmm/window.h:1390: error: expected ";" before "get_mnemonic_modifier"
/usr/include/gtkmm-2.4/gtkmm/window.h:1420: error: "guint32" has not been declared
/usr/include/gtkmm-2.4/gtkmm/window.h:1546: error: "Gdk" has not been declared
/usr/include/gtkmm-2.4/gtkmm/window.h:1546: error: expected "," or "..." before "edge"
/usr/include/gtkmm-2.4/gtkmm/window.h:1561: error: "guint32" has not been declared
/usr/include/gtkmm-2.4/gtkmm/window.h:1825: error: expected "," or "..." before "::" token
/usr/include/gtkmm-2.4/gtkmm/window.h:1833: error: "Glib" has not been declared
/usr/include/gtkmm-2.4/gtkmm/window.h:1833: error: expected ";" before "<" token
/usr/include/gtkmm-2.4/gtkmm/window.h:1840: error: "Glib" has not been declared
/usr/include/gtkmm-2.4/gtkmm/window.h:1840: error: expected ";" before "<" token
/usr/include/gtkmm-2.4/gtkmm/window.h:1903: error: "Glib" has not been declared
/usr/include/gtkmm-2.4/gtkmm/window.h:1903: error: expected ";" before "<" token
/usr/include/gtkmm-2.4/gtkmm/window.h:1923: error: "Glib" has not been declared
/usr/include/gtkmm-2.4/gtkmm/window.h:1923: error: expected ";" before "<" token
/usr/include/gtkmm-2.4/gtkmm/window.h: In member function "GtkWindow* Gtk::Window::gobj()":
/usr/include/gtkmm-2.4/gtkmm/window.h:188: error: "gobject_" was not declared in this scope
/usr/include/gtkmm-2.4/gtkmm/window.h: In member function "const GtkWindow* Gtk::Window::gobj() const":
/usr/include/gtkmm-2.4/gtkmm/window.h:191: error: "gobject_" was not declared in this scope
/usr/include/gtkmm-2.4/gtkmm/window.h: At global scope:
/usr/include/gtkmm-2.4/gtkmm/window.h:1942: error: expected constructor, destructor, or type conversion before "<" token
test.cpp: In function "int main(int, char**)":
test.cpp:6: error: variable "Gtk::Main app" has initializer but incomplete type
test.cpp:7: error: no matching function for call to "Gtk::Window::Window()"
/usr/include/gtkmm-2.4/gtkmm/window.h:177: note: candidates are: Gtk::Window::Window(GtkWindow*)
/usr/include/gtkmm-2.4/gtkmm/window.h:176: note: Gtk::Window::Window(int)
/usr/include/gtkmm-2.4/gtkmm/window.h:172: note: Gtk::Window::Window(const Gtk::Window&)
test.cpp:10: error: expected ";" before "}" token

Andreas
Developer

Post by Andreas » Tue Mar 03, 2009 8:03 am

You should remove the "gtkmm-2.4/" prefix in the include statements, add a ";" after "return 0", and compile with:

g++ test.cpp `pkg-config --cflags --libs gtkmm-2.4`

mazarick

Post by mazarick » Tue Mar 03, 2009 7:06 pm

Thanks, Andreas!!

Here's what I get when I take this suggestions:
#include <gtkmm/main.h>
#include <gtkmm/window.h>
{
app.run(w);
return 0
}

[root@localhost test]# g++ test.cpp `pkg-config --cflags --libs gtkmm-2.4`
test.cpp: In function "int main(int, char**)":
test.cpp:10: error: expected ";" before "}" token

(I had to do a little editing because the putty window put in a "â" instead of a ")

Reading this message, and realizing I'm a little closer, I edited the test.cpp file to get rid a few unnecessary lines and insert a ";" at the end of the last statement (since I really don't know c++). Now the results look like:

#include <gtkmm/main.h>
#include <gtkmm/window.h>
{
app.run(w);
return 0;
}

[root@localhost test]# g++ test.cpp `pkg-config --cflags --libs gtkmm-2.4`

[root@localhost test]# ls
a.out test.cpp

I think we're starting to make some major progress... however, I'm still to lame to know what to do next....

-Mike

mazarick

Post by mazarick » Tue Mar 03, 2009 7:49 pm

I'm looking over my spelling mistakes in the previous postings and am starting to get a bit embarrassed!! I'm also looking at your previous suggestion and realize that you had pointed out what I figured out (insert the ";") which brought success. I'll try to be more deliberate in my postings and 'look before I leap'. I'll also try not to do a complete 'dump' but get to the salient parts of the issue. However, this is hard to do when you are floundering around.

So far, so good. I'm looking over the details and have dove right into the gigedit src directory. The compile obviously produces the same results. I'm trying to figure out the syntax of the Makefile and make some mods to this that can be successful. It is obvious that the code itself doesn't indicate there is a problem because:

[root@localhost gigedit]# pwd
/root/Download/gigedit/gigedit-0.1.1/src/gigedit
[root@localhost gigedit]# cat *.h |grep glibmm
[root@localhost gigedit]# cat *.cpp |grep glibmm
[root@localhost gigedit]# cat *.cpp |grep containerhandle_shared.h
[root@localhost gigedit]# cat *.h |grep containerhandle_shared.h

That's actually rather good news because it means I probably don't have to monkey around with code I don't understand. The major focus will be to try to get the right parameters in the MakeFile so that the resulting compile string looks more like :

g++ foobar.cpp `pkg-config --cflags --libs gtkmm-2.4`

since I was able to make some progress with this earlier.

-Mike

mazarick

Post by mazarick » Wed Mar 04, 2009 1:09 am

SOLVED!!

I'm almost ashamed to say how it was solved... I did a lot of futzing around with it and tried editing the makefiles, selecting a part of the compilation process and duplicating the problem, then removing each include header hoping to find the guilty culprit...

In the end, I had decided to use Yumex (a graphical package manager) to look at what packages were installed. During this, I had inadvertently screwed up and removed a bunch of gtk* packages (and their dependencies, which was a lot of stuff). I eventually rebuilt the system, and I was able to do this successfully, because I had a list of all the packages that were erased. After I got the whole thing working as it was before, I tried to compile gigedit as before, and got the same error (it was actually good to see it at this stage!!).

I found a particular package called "glibmm24-devel.i386" which was available (I had the x86_64 version installed). I installed it, ran ./configure to make sure everything was good. Next I ran 'make' and much to my surprise, gobs of data scrolled across the screen and I ended up making the package with no errors. I went ahead and typed 'make install' while my luck was with me, and I successfully got gigedit to load in some downloaded file (I think it is 'air'). LIFE IS REALLY GOOD, and I should thank you guys for working with me thru this problem.

Next, I'm going to take your advice and try to grab some gigastudio libraries while they are available.

There may be some other side items that you find useful for managing gigastudio files. Feel free to let me know what they are because I'm a real newbie at this. In particular, it would be useful to know general theory on how to get a bunch of WAV file (which most other sample libraries are) and compile them into a gigastudio file.

Another thing I'm working on I've had a little bit of success with... I'm running a version of wineasio on a 64 bit system and able to load up Windows binaries. Once I've had some experience with this, I'll let you know how it turns out. I'm really new at VSTs and I'm unsure how they will play out with a linux host. So far, the applications seem to work fine.

-Mike