Getting to work on Mac OS X

You're new to the LinuxSampler world? You don't know where to start and nothing works? Here's the place to ask for help.
asmeurer

Getting to work on Mac OS X

Post by asmeurer » Fri Feb 06, 2009 7:32 pm

Hi. I am trying to get this to work on OS X, but so far I am having little luck. I would like to have a simple midi to computer to headphone setup, so I can play my keyboard and hear the gig file. So far, I have deduced from the built in log that I don't have jack running. I am pretty sure I have jack installed (I don't think it would let me run the program at all until I did). Also, I don't know if the midi is not working as well. There is no indication that it recognizes my midi port, at least by name.

Any help? By the way, I installed jack with Fink.

grishata
Developer

Re: Getting to work on Mac OS X

Post by grishata » Sat Feb 07, 2009 4:57 pm

You should start jack before creating an audio output device in LinuxSampler. Usually, by launching /Applications/Jack/JackPilot, then click the Start button. Create new audio output device and set the JACK_BINDINGS parameter, for example for channel 1 - system:playback_1, for channel 2 - system:playback_2. Create a MIDI input device and set the CORE_MIDI_BINDINGS parameter.

asmeurer

Post by asmeurer » Sat Feb 07, 2009 6:13 pm

Fink doesn't install anything in /Applications/Jack/. I think I will try manually installing it and see if I have any luck then. You are talking about the Jack available at jackosx.com?

grishata
Developer

Post by grishata » Sat Feb 07, 2009 9:31 pm

asmeurer wrote:Fink doesn't install anything in /Applications/Jack/. I think I will try manually installing it and see if I have any luck then. You are talking about the Jack available at jackosx.com?
Yes

asmeurer

Post by asmeurer » Sun Feb 08, 2009 10:16 pm

I think I have Jack working correctly, but I have no way of testing, because I don't think the MIDI part works. I set up a sampler channel, but I don't get anything when I play on my keyboard. Shouldn't it say the name of my MIDI device somewhere so that I know that it is using the right one?

grishata
Developer

Post by grishata » Mon Feb 09, 2009 12:13 pm

I just saw the code and find out that the CORE_MIDI_BINDINGS parameter is not implemented - it always returns an empty list. So you should find another way to connect your keyboard to LinuxSampler. I would suggest you to take a look in /Applications/Utilities/Audio Midi Setup or try some app like MIDI Patchbay.

asmeurer

Post by asmeurer » Mon Feb 09, 2009 4:43 pm

Oh. I didn't notice before the LinuxSampler has a virtual MIDI input. I am already using MIDI Pipe to do some other stuff, so it's no problem piping it to LinuxSampler. I tried that and I am still hearing nothing. Do you know of any other OS X applications that use Jack so I could test that? Or maybe I'm just not doing the right thing in qsampler.

grishata
Developer

Post by grishata » Mon Feb 09, 2009 5:19 pm

If your keyboard is connected properly to LS (make sure that you specify correct MIDI port/channel) and there is loaded instrument in the sampler channel the streams/voices statistic on the sampler channel (in qsampler) should change when you play. If this is the case, then your MIDI connection is OK and the problem is probably in your audio output configuration.

asmeurer

Post by asmeurer » Mon Feb 09, 2009 6:23 pm

OK. I got it to work. I just set the port to "All"...except, I can only hear it in my left ear. I tried switching around the device channels for Jack but it still only plays in my left ear. And yes, I checked and the right side works just fine in other applications.

By the way, I am testing with the Piano available here.

grishata
Developer

Post by grishata » Mon Feb 09, 2009 10:07 pm

It might be a bug in qsampler. Try to set up your audio output as explained here.